SW Silver & Inlay Ring: Marked VB

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
wlwhittier

SW Silver & Inlay Ring: Marked VB

Post by wlwhittier »

Third in a series of four; this is extremely well made, showing great skill in the execution of a classically designed ring. I profess no knowledge of Native SW American jewelry, but this appears to be the work of a Master Silversmith. It is marked simply VB, with the word STERLING adjacent. The inlay is 3/4" X 7/16"; weight is 15.1gm. Size is almost a 12. I have searched this site for VB, without success.

This ring and the one that will follow were represented as Zuni by the seller. What little I've read and seen of Zuni work agrees with that, but I am not certain; I've seen pics of Navajo and Hopi work of similar nature and high craft.

X
X

The same questions as in my previous ring postings: Artist and Tribal ID; design orientation and significance, if any?

As before, I'm tickled to have this forum, and the commentary of the members, available. Thanks. wlw
wlwhittier

Re: SW Silver & Inlay Ring: Marked VB

Post by wlwhittier »

Found him:
Vernon BEGAY (or BEGAYE), a Navajo contemporary Silversmith.
An almost identical ring is currently listed on eBay., as are many other of his, and his children's, work. wlw
tatsnbikes

Post by tatsnbikes »

This is not vernon begay. Vernon uses VB and it is conjoined. Try Victor Begay instead. Also check tne sterling. It may be the pics but has a funny color to it.
tatsnbikes

Post by tatsnbikes »

Also the Begay silversmiths are Navajo.

Return to “Native American Silver”