Riing of unknown origin

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Meaghan91

Riing of unknown origin

Post by Meaghan91 »

I recently purchased this "antique" ring while at an antique shop in South Carolina, and was wondering if anyone knows where it may have come from. It has silver work on the front of leaves and a flower above a large, oval-cut piece of tiger eye. The stamp on the back is "STERLING" with another, larger "S" directly below the "R". I know both of those markings usually indicate the piece is sterling, but I've never seen both on the same piece so I don't know if it's a makers mark or not. I believe it is American-made. Please let me know if you've seen pieces like this before and may know where it comes from. Thanks!
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Riing of unknown origin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi Meaghan ~ welcome to the forums. Your ring is typical of Navajo jewelry and most likely dates no earlier than 1970s. The 'S' mark is found attributed to both Sarah Chee and to some member of the Spencer family of silversmiths - to my eye, it resembles the work of Percy Spencer, but Navajo designs are often very similar. Hopefully someone with more reliable knowledge will come along...

~Cheryl
Meaghan91

Re: Riing of unknown origin

Post by Meaghan91 »

Thanks so much Cheryl! I was getting so frustrated not being able to nail down the makers mark. Thanks so much for all your help!

Return to “Native American Silver”