NAVAHO? CUFF BRACELETS TURQUOISE & CORAL

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tuppence

NAVAHO? CUFF BRACELETS TURQUOISE & CORAL

Post by Tuppence »

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum, and was wondering if anyone might know anything about the following cuff bracelets.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b48 ... 22b141.jpg http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b48 ... 8baa43.jpg

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )

(admin edit - only one item per topic - please start a new thread with your other item)

Cheers Sorry for size of pics, will try to make sure they're smaller next time
Tuppence

Re: NAVAHO? CUFF BRACELETS TURQUOISE & CORAL

Post by Tuppence »

Just wanted to say that it took me over an hour to figure out how to post pics in the first place, not having been raised in the computer era myself = takes a tad longer to figure things out. I did read the posting rules & hadn't been able to preview the pics initially as they were too big. An error message kept telling me the photo's had to be no bigger than 900 pixels so I reduced them to that size & uploaded to photobucket again at the suggested 900 pixels. The marks were smaller again.

I'm sorry I didn't get it right first time, but I did read the posting rules & the error message suggested 900 pixels so I took it literally =I'm a new member trying to figure out how things work. A bit of assistance might have been good. Can you please suggest a size that suits you ? Or, do you prefer links rather than photo's?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

800 pixels is perfectly fine for this forum. Yes we prefer embedded images, thanks for your cooperation.

Oel.
Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

That looks to me to be 20th century made for tourist trade - commonly referred to as "Fred Harvey" era. Harvey was one of the large tourist "trading post" retail stores that attracted most of the tourists on the car trip to or from the Grand Canyon. The jewelry they sold had a lot of obvious "Indian" motifs to make it clear to the tourists - thus lots of arrows, thunderbirds, turquoise, etc as seen on your bracelet. This was sold from at least the 1930's to the 1960's; I assume the ones marked "sterling" are on the more recent end of that timeline. Someone who specializes in Harvey era jewelry may be able to pinpoint it better.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

oel wrote:Hi,

800 pixels is perfectly fine for this forum. Yes we prefer embedded images, thanks for your cooperation.

Oel.
Hi...thanks but I have absolutely no idea how to embed an image...lol - (Warning: 20th Century Numpty at large) = born when computers were fiction e.g. "Lost in Space"... & now I'm 'Lost in Space'

I opened a photobucket account and I know how to upload to there, and then I just cut & paste the direct link. How do you do an embedded image?
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Hi Jag, thanks, that's a bit more info than I had. I'll post the Coral one as well, which is marked with a C, but just wanted to find out how to do the images right before I post anything else. I have a massive suitcase full of Vintage Silver, collected over years, and am only just now finding out what it all is.
Tuppence

Post by Tuppence »

Jag wrote:That looks to me to be 20th century made for tourist trade - commonly referred to as "Fred Harvey" era. Harvey was one of the large tourist "trading post" retail stores that attracted most of the tourists on the car trip to or from the Grand Canyon. The jewelry they sold had a lot of obvious "Indian" motifs to make it clear to the tourists - thus lots of arrows, thunderbirds, turquoise, etc as seen on your bracelet. This was sold from at least the 1930's to the 1960's; I assume the ones marked "sterling" are on the more recent end of that timeline. Someone who specializes in Harvey era jewelry may be able to pinpoint it better.
Hi Jag, wow, what's in a name eh? I did a quick search on Harvey and found this short history - hope it's ok to post a link

http://www.collectorsguide.com/fa/fa001.shtml

Cheers

Return to “Native American Silver”