Cool Old Sterling Silver & 10k Gun & Holster Pin

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
fireyfoxy

Cool Old Sterling Silver & 10k Gun & Holster Pin

Post by fireyfoxy »

I bought this online a good while back.It's a pin with a little gun and holster attached.The pin itself is a braided rope design which makes me think it may be from the 50 or 60's who knows maybe older.The mark on the back say RV ? PV ? RM ? and sterling .I was think it may be Rafael Melendez maybe he didn't quite finish the M or it may be worn there but i am not sure.The front gold parts are each marked 10k.Its a good size pin measuring the size of two silver dollars.The front has a great hand carved design and even the little handle of the gun has a longhorn steer head.The little gun is permanently bonded on the inside so it can't be removed from the holster.If anyone has any info i would great appreciate it ! Thanks in advance !
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Cool Old Sterling Silver & 10k Gun & Holster Pin

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

It's not Mexican, Mex pieces are marked Mexico in some way 99.99% of the time, definitely not Melendez, not even close to his mark.
It looks to be Southwest or possibly Native American.
fireyfoxy

Post by fireyfoxy »

I wouldn't say it looked nothing like Rafael Melendez mark .It has some similarities.Maybe it could of been signed by hand instead of by a machine stamp. Its still a very nice piece either way :)

Torra

Post by Torra »

Just my two cents, but has anyone thought about:

J P V

Or

J R V

There certainly appears to be a 'J' at the beginning of the mark. True it's mostly eaten up by the 'R' or 'P' but I've seen than in a great number of marker's marks.

Lovely, lovely piece.
fireyfoxy

Post by fireyfoxy »

Found it was made by Roy Vandever

Return to “Native American Silver”