Sterling Cuff Bracelet

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
afflicted

Sterling Cuff Bracelet

Post by afflicted »

Hi all. New to the site so be gentle. LOL. Can anyone here give me some info on this piece? Thanks
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Re: Sterling Cuff Bracelet

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

Most likely Hopi overlay work but the Navajo do some overlay too. I looked in the Hallmarks of the Southwest and it wasn't there but I think there is a Hopi book on Amazon that you can see most of the pages and the maker IDs.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

Thanks Valkyrie! Probably hard without pinning down the hallmark, but any idea about age? Thanks again!
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

Found the book on amazon. Looks to be Clyde Begay. It doesn't show the cresent mark above the initials though. Thanks a bunch
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

He's Navajo, not Hopi and you'll have to find the mark with the crescent over it, it's not the same mark so not the same artisan. Clyde Begay doesn't seem to do overlay work from what I've seen. I found one overlay piece attributed to him but I think the seller made the same mistake you did and just went with the name that had CB without the crescent.
Native American mark IDing is not as simple as it seems.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

Ok. I'll keep looking. If you find anything let me know. Thanks again for taking the time to help.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

Took a while but found the artist. It's Charlie Bowie. He's Navajo.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

Did you get that from an online seller's ads? I found one with your mark by a certain seller that I know for a fact has mis-identified mannnnny items. I don't believe anything of what they claim now. You might want to try searching further to verify it if they are the only source you got it from.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

hey valkyrie....i think we had this discussion once already. there are several pieces for sale online with this same hallmark....CB underneath a crescent and have ALL been attributed to charlie bowie. are you going around the internet calling all of these other sellers liars too or is it just me? i mis-identified this cuff did some further research and updated my listing. So what are these other MANNNNNY items I have misrepresented ? have you even looked at any of my other listings? and if you have, what mistakes haveyou found ? have YOU done any research of your own before you started shooting your mouth off ? i'll be anxiously awaiting your findings.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

Correction valkyrie.....the discussion i had about this hallmark was not with you. It was with someone who seems to know a bit more than you about Native American hallmarks and seems to have more manners as well. Please do some homework of your own before throwing false accusations around.
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

My accusations aren't false, that seller has many mistakes in their listings, including claiming an item made by Chester Benally, Navajo, was Zuni. I could probably find several other mistakes if I took the time.
There is nothing wrong with my manners, you are the one bashing someone who has taken time to help you.
I was only suggesting you double check a mark rather than base it on a seller who is clearly not as knowledgeable as they pretend to be. If they were they would know the difference between Zuni and Navajo, especially with a clear name stamped right on the piece.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

i think i made a mistake. i have this cuff for sale on eBay and i thought the seller you were referring to was me. if that is the case then i am deeply sorry. lets start over. like i said...i have done my homework. i did not go by just one item i saw on eBay. i scoured the internet and found several pieces with the same hallmark and they are all attributed to charlie bowie. i don't think the seller your referring to has any pictures showing charlie bowie's hallmarks . here is one. zoom in on the hallmark.
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

again..if i misunderstood then i apologize
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

i think this is one from the eBay seller you were referring to. as you can see....same hallmark.
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

afflicted,

You started your question with "New to the site so be gentle". Please remember that someone is taking the time and trouble to try to help you.

Please re-read the Posting Requirements especially items 3 and 9 in the 'donts'.

Trev.
afflicted

Post by afflicted »

the purpose of my original post was to identify a hallmark. the back and forth was healthy and helpful for everyone on this site because through spirited debate comes truth. the hallmark has been identified and i posted the links for informational purposes only. not for advertising or promotion. i posted my findings hoping to inform. its clear to me now that your purpose here is not to help but to foster ignorance.

Return to “Native American Silver”