Mark ID needed on Indian necklace

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
zeno333

Mark ID needed on Indian necklace

Post by zeno333 »

Necklace was bought in Arizona in July 1967. I do not know what tribe made it.

zeno333

Re: Mark ID needed on Indian necklace

Post by zeno333 »

PS..I would like the name of the artist who made it and the tribe etc. It is not over-lay, it is hollow on the insides.
klampshire

Post by klampshire »

The sun stamp indicates that is Hopi, made by a silversmith who is/was a member of the tribal authority. I do not have a Hopi book, but the hallmark will be registered with the Hopi nation. You have a real authentic piece of Hopi art.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello.

Here's a couple of possibilities for the rain clouds mark.

Victor Coochwytewa, Hopi, began producing in the 1940's.
Manuel Hoyungowa, Hopi, began producing in 1975.

Pat.
Blancita

Post by Blancita »

It looks like Victor Coochwytewa's work to me. The rainclouds are his mark and I believe that all work that passes through the Hopi Cooperative has the sun mark. My mother has several of Victor's pieces including a necklace that is a similar to this one.

I feel compelled to share a story which doesn't really have much with this thread, but I thought someone reading this might appreciate it. I met Victor once when my family visited 2nd Mesa to commission a pair of earrings to coordinate with a spectacular gold & silver overlay bracelet that my father purchased for my mother previously. I was about 9 years old at the time and was completely enchanted with him. He was very kind and gracious. He let us watch him work and invited us to his home, which was filled with all sorts of fantastic handmade things. I was utterly obsessed with all things Native American after that trip. I adopted a modified version of the Hopi sun symbol as my own and signed all my drawings with it for years. When I was in in my 20's (I'm 39 now) I got a tattoo of "my" sun hallmark. I knew it was derived from a Hopi symbol but didn't remember what specifically lead me to become so attached to that particular symbol until last week. I was going through my recently deceased grandmothers belongings. The Hopi ring she has worn since the 80's is stamped with the sun. Which instantly brought a smile to my face. I didn't realize that it was the mark for the cooperative until I came home and did some research. In the process of my research I discovered that Victor passed away recently as well, just a few weeks before my grandmother, so he has been on my mind recently. I feel very lucky to have met him, by all accounts he was a remarkable person. -K
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi K,

Welcome to the Forum.

Thanks for your imput and thanks for adding the lovely story.

Trev.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Many thanks for sharing your story.

Pat.

Return to “Native American Silver”