Sterling 925 necklace with arrowhead or tree mark?

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jabar5

Post by jabar5 »

Hi, I would like to know if anyone can tell me what the symbol on this actually is (arrowhead~~tree?) and if it is Mexican, as I believe? Also, who the maker is, if possible. This is also marked 925 on the spring ring. Thanks so much!!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/ ... C-002S.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/ ... C-001S.JPG
ValkyrieVixen
contributor

Post by ValkyrieVixen »

99.9% of Mexican jewelry is marked Mexico in some way. This looks Native American but the sterling stamp is in the style of old Trading Post items rather than NA made.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

...the sterling stamp is in the style of old Trading Post items rather than NA made.
This statement needs some clarification and broadening. This particular type of sterling stamp has been available to anyone, Native American or otherwise, in any metal craft shop or through mail order for at least the last 30 years (perhaps much longer, but that is when I purchased my first one). Below is a photo of your mark above a fresh sample from one I bought about 8 years ago. The differences are only in that your photo is a bit more out of focus and the fresh stamp impression has not had the chance to be polish or buff softened. Speaking strictly from the standpoint of sterling stamp style, your piece is in no way limited to a specific subset beyond - probably American and made within the last 50 years.
Other factors; design and chip inlay technique point to the American southwest, 1960's and after.

Regards, Tom

jabar5

Post by jabar5 »

Hi, Thanks so much to both of you for your information! You've helped a lot!! Darleen

Return to “Native American Silver”