Large SW Silver & Inlay Ring; Mark is Cryptic

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
wlwhittier

Large SW Silver & Inlay Ring; Mark is Cryptic

Post by wlwhittier »

I've saved the best for last. Although I cannot read the mark, I'm sure someone here will recognize it.

As with the last post (VB) this artist shows surpassing skill in design and execution. This is a magnificent example of the work of an artisan at the top of their form. It appears so perfect as to have been machine made, but is in truth the product of many, many hours of tedious hand work by a person who fully understands the properties of the materials, and who has applied an abundance of skill and patience in crafting this delightful ring.

The inlay is 1" X 7/16"; weight is 28.8gm; size is 13.

Who is the artist, or family? From what Tribe?
Does the design have a story, or significance, and Is orientation on the hand important?

Thank you all, for looking and thinking about these rings. Your comments are as welcome as sunshine! wlw
wlwhittier

Re: Large SW Silver & Inlay Ring; Mark is Cryptic

Post by wlwhittier »

Found him, too:
Ray Jack, Navajo; many Zuni motifs in his work.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have a few Ray Jack rings and I showed them to someone who explained to me what the design means.
At first I thought it was just an abstract thunderbird design, but this person told me another story.

There are three "worlds" in your ring's design.
The first world is the world of nature which is surrounded by the triangles which represent mountains.
The second world is the horizontal lines which border the world of nature. This world is human society.
The third world is the top of the ring which is the spiritual world, the mother spirit that possesses all knowledge.

Human beings must journey from the world of nature, and cross many mountains, and pass through the horizontal line world to reach the spiritual realm.

I wish I recorded what she said because she explained it much better, but hopefully this helps.
Ray Jack is truly an amazing artist.
wlwhittier

Post by wlwhittier »

Thank you very much!

The description of the three worlds is compelling, and lovely. I'll use it for further research.

Ray Jack's work is remarkable to me for precision and symmetry, as well as the selection of high quality materials.

I'll be looking for more!

Again, my gratitude...wlw

Return to “Native American Silver”