What is this Animal Head Baltimore Related Accession Mark?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

What is this Animal Head Baltimore Related Accession Mark?

Post by neurorocker »

Hi there,

I'm baffled!! I've got several coin silver pieces by unrelated Baltimore makers which seem to have traveled together and have what I think may be an accession mark in common. Has anyone ever seen this mark before?

Best wishes,
Nate
amena
contributor

Re: What is this Animal Head Baltimore Related Accession Mark?

Post by amena »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Strictly speaking it`s not coin silver (.900 or 90% silver alloy) but at least 11 ounces of pure silver in every 12 troy ounce, or a silver fineness of 91.7% (11/12 = 91.66%) silver content. 

The lion`s head facing left is for .800/1000 fineness.
There was the same mark facing right for .950.

Very unusual to have rather rare Kingdom of Sardinia mark on two American spoons by different,unrelated makers.
Spurious combination marks.
For faked A. E. Warner marks see here:
http://www.nutmeggraters.com/fakedAmeri ... arner.html
I suggest to have the spoons tested for exact composition of the alloy - there are electronic testers now.
Never underestimate fakers.False punches with full lettering are not cheap to make and profitable only if struck on whatever lucrative silver item available.The problem are original marks, especially British because there are 4 or 5 of them to be erased or obliterated, which is not easy.
So, the best candidate is silver from across the globe with rare marks or no marks at all - no need to hide them.Would you have bought the spoons with Kingdom of Sardinia Turin unidentified marks (till now) ? I don't think so.

Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I see nothing suspicious in the presence of the lion's head.
There are many examples of foreign silvers marked with that punch.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ES#p131569
In fact there was in the Kingdom of Sardinia at that time a specific mark for the silvers coming from abroad, but this is much more rarely found.

I believe, but it is only my personal opinion, that the mark above was applied to silver imported by a merchant, while the lion's head was applied at the request of a private individual, only to confirm that it was solid silver.
It would not be strange, therefore, that the owner of cutlery from various foreign silversmiths has asked to affix them a mark of confirmation.
Best
Amena
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Thank you, Amena! I'm grateful for your expertise. It makes complete sense that a collector or perhaps even a person living abroad might seek to have the items assayed.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It is well known that owners of silver items take them to assay offices to have silver tested and assayed with domestic marks, for whatever reason.
The problem here is unusual circulation of silver.
Scenario 1.A US collector (owner),moved to Europe, had silver assayed in Turin and then brought silver back to America.
Scenario 2.A person living in Kingdom of Sardinia collected American spoons, had them assayed in Turin and then emigrated to America.
Both versions are not very likely.
I would like to hear more realistic explanation of the circulation of silver in this particular case.
Best wishes
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hello Ag 2012
Scenario 2 really does seem beyond imagination.
Scenario 1 is more possible.
It would be very useful to know when neurorocker's cutlery came back to the US.
Even Dognose has posted a Georgian spoon with the lion's head: is it possible to know where that spoon is now? Where and when was it bought?
To give a personal example, I have a ladle of Alexander Kordes with the lion's head, which I found in Italy at a flea market.
It would not be strange if a Russian man had bought it, instead of me, and brought it home, where it is certainly more valued.
What do you think about?
Best regards
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Silver does move around the world.
Anything seems possible, but I am still baffled with unrelated American marks on several spoons,having in common only Turin assay office marks.
Best wishes
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Here's an image of my mark:

Found on a London assayed teaspoon of 1794.

Trev.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

There are probably a lot of possibilities to explain how this could happen as Turin was and is a very important Italian city. It could have been an American with long term political or business interests. Perhaps getting the assay marks was fashionable for expats-- like a stamp in your passport. I can't say for sure, but I'm speculating, but this seems most likely. As you mention, silver traveled. By the same logic, it seems bizarre that silver from Peru, fashioned into Spanish reales would turn up in China with chopmarks on it from Chinese merchants. But it does and routinely.

Perhaps another possibility in this case is the numerous large exhibitions that were held in Turin. Important silver retailers like Tiffany would take their wares, showcase them, and presumably bring them home. More research would be needed, but I suppose it is possible that Turin required the application of their mark of exhibitors.

At this point, given the other two examples, and the quality of the marks on my items, there's nothing that makes me believe that they are spurious. If I turn something up on this topic through further research I'll update this thread.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Only for pastime ...
It could have been an American with long term political or business interests.
He came to Turin with his family and his belongings.
After some time he died and an inventory had to be drawn up to estimate the value of the estate in order to determine the amount of the tax.
The officer requested the Turin mint to certify which objects were made of silver, and the mint affixed the hallmark.
Subsequently, the heirs returned to the USA ..................

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”