Samuel Chase Bailey maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Meridian_Mike

Samuel Chase Bailey maker?

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hello all,
This is my first post here. I am looking for some information on this piece. I have seen marks on the net for E E & S C Bailey together but not for S C Bailey alone.
Is this a piece by Samuel Chase Bailey?
About what date would this piece have been made?

Thanks!!
Mike

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Samuel Chase Bailey maker?

Post by dognose »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Forum.

Likely between 1862 and 1873 if the below is correct:

In 1836 Ebenezer E. Bailey bought a small piece of land, at the junction of Sullivan and Main streets, of Paran Stevens, and erected upon it a two-story brick building. For several years previous Mr. Bailey had been engaged in manufacturing silver spoons and spectacles, at West Unity, which were mostly sold by peddlers going about on foot, carrying tin trunks. When this building was completed he removed his business to Claremont. Later he bought at sheriff's sale the house and lot adjoining on the west and made an addition of fifteen feet to his building, which is now the Fiske Free Library building. He took his brother, Samuel C. into partnership, and they carried on the silversmith and jewelry business quite extensively, under the firm name of E. E. & S. C. Bailey, for twenty-five years, when the business of manufacturing was practically given up. Ebenezer E. Bailey fell from an elm tree, on Washington street, in the summer of 1862, and was instantly killed. Samuel C. Bailey removed to Missouri in 1873, where he now lives.

Source: History of the town of Claremont, New Hampshire, for a period of one hundred and thirty years from 1764 to 1894 - Otis Frederick Reed Waite - 1895

Trev.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Very interesting information Trev. Thanks so much!!
My confusion came from the doubt in my mind that S.C. Bailey would have stamped a spoon with his name only since he was in business with his brother. I have seen marks for 'E E & S C Bailey" and for "Bailey Brothers" and for "E E Bailey" but I haven't seen one for S C Bailey alone.
I suppose it could have been made after his brother died (?).....

Anyway, thanks for your reply!
Best regards,
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Just as a side-note, and to help anyone researching E.E. & S.C. Bailey, the brothers had an apprentice named Reuben Spencer:

REUBEN SPENCER, jeweller, deals in watches, clocks, silver-ware and miscellaneous goods. Mr. Spencer is a native of East Randolph, Vt., born in 1834, settled in Claremont in 1852, and served his apprenticeship with E. E. and S. C. Bailey, silversmiths. Since 1856 he has been in business for himself.

Source: The Granite Monthly - February 1880

Trev.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”