Calling Card Case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tyranny2k

Calling Card Case

Post by tyranny2k »

Hello,
Hoping someone here can help. I've looked at the various mark pages here searching for mine but came up empty.

I have what I believe to be a silver calling card case. It has a mark that is partially worn, and what appears to possibly be two additional marks on the other side that seem to be worn off.

What I assume to be the makers mark appears to be L&W.

I am including here images of both sides of the item as well as multiple images of the makers mark and an image of the other possible marks. The images have been photographed and processed in different ways hoping to get the best possible image.

I'm looking for any information on origin, maker, and possible date and for conformation on my guess about the landscape depicted. Any information on polishing (or if that's a bad idea). Any information on how to determine if the item is silver or silver plate.

Thank you for any help!

Monogram side reads: from Mrs. M Brewer to Kitty

Landscape side appears to be an image of Venice, Italy perhaps.

Two possible marks worn off?

Below are all the images of what I assume to be the Makers Mark:

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Calling Card Case

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi ~ welcome to the forums. Your card case is circa 1840s-50s coin silver by Leonard & Wilson of Philadelphia, they were known for their card cases...

~Cheryl
tyranny2k

Post by tyranny2k »

Thank You Cheryl!

Any ideas on if my guess on the scene might be correct? Do I polish this? Is that a bad idea, or something a pro should do?
tyranny2k

Post by tyranny2k »

I just read the section on polishing and will follow those guidelines!

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”