Overstruck Marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Aguest
contributor

Overstruck Marks?

Postby Aguest » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Just an average example of a coin silver fiddle-pattern fork:

Until you try to read the hallmarks, then the mystery begins:

The Retailer looks like "C. EVEREST" but I cannot find a record of this obscure retailer, or jeweler, or whatever....

Aguest
contributor

Re: Overstruck Marks?

Postby Aguest » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:26 pm

Ok, basically I read a lot of threads which talk about "Flourish" marks which are found on silver, usually in the gap from when the "Coin Silver" standard transitioned into the "Sterling Silver" standard, and these "Flourish" marks are of unknown significance but perhaps were associated with trade groups of silversmiths, sort of like the Guild system?

Most of the research points toward New York, and I did read about an "Everest" family from New York, so this is where I am headed in my research....

Aguest
contributor

Postby Aguest » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Ok this is just a theory, but the French minted a new silver coin in 1849, and I believe the marks on this fork are to signify the fact that it was made from French silver coins, which bear a very similar "6-Pointed-Star" and also the laurel wreath looks like the "fern" symbols on my fork:

Some researchers have theorized that these "flourish marks" or "countermarks" or "counterstamps" or whatever you want to call them, had something to do with the types of coins which were being melted down in the manufacturing of the flatware, so perhaps the symbols are somehow related to the French Silver Coins which were first minted in 1849. 1849 is a good starting date for this fork, I would date it 1850-1860, right before the "Sterling Standard" became common in America and Coin Silver began to fade from the population of silver objects....

silverly
contributor

Postby silverly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:36 am

Cornelius Everest is a possibility.

Aguest
contributor

Postby Aguest » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:13 am

In the article I read about "Flourish Marks," there was much discussion about Philadelphia and a possible alternative-marking system.... I believe there are letters under the "Flourish Marks," but it is difficult to tell, that's why I thought this was a case of an Overstruck Mark at first glance.... But it could be that Cornelius Everest belonged to a Guild, or maybe Cornelius Everest was using this obscure system of hallmarking....

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”