Help with hallmarks British Colonial ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kurban

Help with hallmarks British Colonial ?

Post by kurban »

Can anyone help shed some light on maker or origin of these spoons. Thanks...
kurban

Re: Help with hallmarks British Colonial ?

Post by kurban »

*** Ugh this is not the category I selected and cant seem to change it ? anyone know how I change it to a more appropriate category ? Thanks...
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I think you are in the correct sub-forum, these hallmarks at first appear to be British hallmarks, but they were an attempt to imitate British hallmarks which was happening in America circa 1850, so these would most likely be considered American Coin Silver spoons, although I have seen a few spoons which were of Sterling Silver content which had similar pseudo-hallmarks :::
kurban

Post by kurban »

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Don't want to spoil your day, but has their been a test for metals content? May just be my own inclinations, but personally I would start out with the assumption of psuedo-marks on plateware until content is known. In addition, it would help to note the location of where these surfaced. Four letter monograms are not as ubiquitous in the United States as three letter versions and might be related to a commercial user....can't say what is normal for Canada. The "L" at the end might be for "Lines", a common word in ocean vessel trades. Without that metals content to start with, I would keep an open mind on what you have until more is known. Can you photo the entire back side so the experts here might render a judgement on these (and I'm not one of them..just curious). Hope you've stumbled onto something very interesting!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

In addition, my reading of the monograms is CAML with various spacings and no periods..is that correct to your eyes? I don't want to inject too much into this yet, but something like Canadian American Merchant Lines would be a commercial possibility if this is plated brass.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

From the style of the spoon, the engraving and the pseudo hallmark, I would say that these were American from the first half of the 19th century.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

Mid 19th century generic coin silver spoons made by the Gilbert/Gilbert & Cunningham/F. W. Cooper association of wholesale manufacturers. These marks are found countermarked with scores of retail marks, almost all centered around New York City. Very common.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The mark and retailers have been discussed here:
http://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000526.html

Regards

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”