This one has me puzzled!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

This one has me puzzled!

Post by neurorocker »

I'm sure someone may recognize this, but I'm totally stumped. I'm not sure it's American. Anyone know this mark on a serving spoon?! It was extremely tarnished and seems to have a lot of honest wear.
Aguest
contributor

Re: This one has me puzzled!

Post by Aguest »

I had a similar style and it turned out to be from Denmark, Viborg, so perhaps a Denmark maker would lead you in the right direction, the form of the spoon and the shell motif are quite similar to my thread, which I first believed was American, but it turned out to be Denmark and the city is Viborg.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The contributor who helped me find the maker has this reference guide: (Bøje, Køberstaederne) and you can see the similar spoons if you wish to search for my spoon by "Peter Pedersen Mollerup," it falls into the category of Danish Provincial Silver :::
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Aguest,

I remember your thread, have a huge Mollerup dumpling spoon with the same mark you have. This does not appear to be his MP mark. Let's see what others have to say.

Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Sorry PM mark that is.
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

I did search for the thread but was not able to locate it..
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Just noticed that besides the scallop design on the finial, the drop also has a scallop design there. Have not see that before in my limited experience.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Punch Mollerup into the search engine at top right. Thread is PM Serving Spoon.

Warren
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Right, even though this mark does not match my Mollerup spoon, based on the form of the spoon and the hallmarks, if I had to place this spoon in a particular time and place, I would look for a Provincial Denmark silversmith circa 1850s, and a helpful contributor might have the Denmark silver book which I referenced and perhaps this hallmark could be identified?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Yes, the place where the handle meets the bowl (the drop) is interesting and I have never seen it before either. It seems made by a talented silversmith and the second tiny shell is kind of whimsical, I'm trying to remember another spoon which had an interesting drop, it was a devil (or gargoyle) face on the drop and it was so tiny, I think that spoon was from Denmark or maybe Norway, so many spoons I might have a pic somewhere.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I found it, the pics are still here and the hallmark is believed to be August Midling of Norway, there is a face with a tongue sticking out on the handle, and if you look really closely, there is an identical face where the handle meets the bowl .... Interesting, and whimsical, no doubt a talented silversmith ....
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Thanks, you guys!
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Looking this makers mark again it appears to read either JP conjoined, JHP, or JH. There is a post on 925 for a York partnership of John Hampston & John Prince. This is not their mark but gives you some idea.

Also looking through Theo's site nothing came up on JHP in particular but you can see other triple and double conjoined combinations with Danish (Daenemark) or German silversmiths. Still leaning towards a Danish provincial smith myself.

Warren

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”