Pair of Spoons Marked C. Cook

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tzarevich

Pair of Spoons Marked C. Cook

Post by tzarevich »

Did the spoons belong to Capt. Cook ?? Just a joke. Actually I have no idea who they belonged to, the pattern is 1820's correct? The C. Cook is a silversmith? or Individual?
X
X
Waylander
co-admin

Re: Pair of Spoons Marked C. Cook

Post by Waylander »

Hi

I'll let someone else with more expertise comment on the style/pattern and possible dates.

As regards the mark, the excellent website run by the esteemed Wm Voss doesn't list a silversmith with that name, but does list a retailer (jeweler) called Charles A Cook, born 1849 and probably active mid 1870s onwards. That doesn't fit with the 1820 date you've mentioned.

I'll let the resident experts on this forum comment further!

Waylander
silverly

Post by silverly »

I am unable to pin this maker or retailer down for sure, but there was a Charles S Cook who was born Connecticut in about 1841 and is listed in the 1860 US Federal Census for Providence, Rhode Island as an apprentice silversmith. He was listed in Providence Business Directories from at least 1866 to 1906. I think the style of these spoons would fit fine in the third quarter of the nineteenth century and beyond.
WesternPA
contributor

Post by WesternPA »

Hi,

By style these are very likely Ohio spoons, but could also be Kentucky or Missouri. It is a challenging name to run down, but I haven't checked the Missouri book yet.

Best,
WesternPA

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”