Coin fork maker ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rynegold

Coin fork maker ID

Post by rynegold »

I have 24 of these:

And the maker's mark is a griffon/eagle head of some sort over a shield w/a star in the center, but no name.

And a purveyor's/retailer's mark: "J. Einstein"

Anyone have an idea who made these?? I don't even know where to start.

Regards, mitch
silverly

Re: Coin fork maker ID

Post by silverly »

I don't know who the manufacturer was, but I believe that the retailer may have been Joseph Einstein of Philadelphia, PA and that the forks were made there. Joseph Einstein was in the jewelry business in Philadelphia from at least the mid 1840's the to mid 1870's.
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

Thanks Silverly!, so when I think of coin silver, I'm thinking 1865 or earlier... but that may not be right. Actually, I wonder when, for the most part, coin silver ceased to be the standard in this country? I've always been told that sterling silver became the norm shortly after the Civil War ended as quality refineries sprang up in the East and elsewhere.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I believe you're thinking is about right. The quality of silver used in the U. S. for the most part has been determined by the manufacturers themselves. The demand for coin silver must dictated how long it remained in normal use, and there is nothing to say it ever had to die out completely.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”