legrandmogol
contributor

S&B colonial table spoon?

Post by legrandmogol »

legrandmogol
contributor

Re: S&B colonial table spoon?

Post by legrandmogol »

Ok, finally figured out how to add pics. I have been told this piece is by Sheppard & Boyd of Albany NY but no reference has their mark looking like this. The S the B and the & are all way different. Also the style of the spoon indicates that it is older than when then when they were in business. it is also way heavier than a spoon from this period usually is. I think it is American but I was wondering if it is perhaps a English, Scottish or Irish Provincial instead? it measures about 8.5" long and weighs 57 grams
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

It may be an unrecorded mark for STILES (Samuel) & BALDWIN (Jedediah), working c 1790 in Northampton MA. I have seen spoons by the partnership similar to yours, which is quite handsome.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you for your reply. What is your source for that? I don't question it but I am always looking for new silver hallmark resources and I don't have a good one for colonial and federal era american marks
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

It is an educated guess based on my experience and work here: American Silversmiths & Related Craftsmen.
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

thanks, that is the best and closest mark so far.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”