Coin silver teaspoon - G.RUSSELL

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bstaunto
contributor

Coin silver teaspoon - G.RUSSELL

Post by bstaunto »

Hello forum,

Does anyone know the maker of this spoon? I've found a number of Russells, but not one with a G first name.

Thanks again, Ben.
silverly

Re: Coin silver teaspoon - G.RUSSELL

Post by silverly »

I don't have any other details right now, but there was definitely a George Russell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the correct era for your spoon. Hope this helps.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I have no maker to offer, but the George Russell listed in Brix and Hollan is debatable. He was a watchmaker of some note, but did not start working till c 1830, but Winterthur has a distinctive c 1800 brightcut spoon with this mark.
WesternPA
contributor

Post by WesternPA »

This is definitely the George Russell from Philadelphia; there are many examples of later Philadelphia spoons in earlier styles, made either to replace lost or damaged spoons from earlier sets, or made in an "antique" style to suit the tastes of a client. Moreover, the die for Russell's mark is extremely similar to a number of Philadelphia marks from the 1825-50 period, probably made by the same die sinker. Most are accompanied by the Philadelphia eagle mark. I have a set of teaspoons that all bear the same monogram, four of which bear this mark for Russell and two of which bear the mark W.EDEN in the same type of serrated punch. Although Eden has not been tracked down, he is known to be working in the 1825-50 period in Philadelphia or vicinity, given the style of his work, including foliate-decorated Philadelphia style tongs. I have also had many other spoons by George Russell, all in the style of Philadelphia pieces of the 1825-50 period.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Does this answer mean we should re-open the earlier inquiry over the JC mark and allow that the spoon could be made later in,an earlier style?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Would this also affect our understanding of the inquiry regarding an Eagle with D mark attributed to an "upstate" New York maker based on known samples from an unknown date? Oh, that's right--the moon is made of cheese and the Earth is flat!

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”