Coin Silver (Assuming) serving Spoon - Unknown Hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
guito13

Coin Silver (Assuming) serving Spoon - Unknown Hallmark

Post by guito13 »

Hi All,

Big spoon (62 grams and probably 10 inches, tested positive for silver with the acid test. By the feel and look I am thinking 1800's coin silver serving spoon. I cannot identify the hallmark.

Thank you in advance!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Coin Silver (Assuming) serving Spoon - Unknown Hallmark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

See Asa Sibley at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... /24264.htm

Please try to embed your images.

Trev.
guito13

Post by guito13 »

Hi Dognose,

Thank you for the reply. That looks very much like what I see.

I didn't know if embedding them would be preferred as the images were large to provide as much detail as possible.

How were you able to find this so quickly? I am asking so I can do this myself and not bother the forum as much as possible!

Thank you again
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Questions like this are never a bother. Without them we would not get the opportunity to see such pieces and learn from them, so keep posting and sharing so that we all can benefit.

Embedded images are much preferred, as many people will not click on links. If you keep your images to within the 7" (18cm) guidelines, then there should be plenty of room to show detail.

Trev.
cajunchas

Post by cajunchas »

I'm getting ready to try to post about a serving spoon I came across that is very similar to yours except mine has no "L" on it ---'mine is BLANK --- if you can help me, please see my post (if I can find out how to link the picture to my post, -----????
guito13

Post by guito13 »

Hi, I unfortunately do not have much more to add to the link about Asa Sibley that was provided. I do believe the spoon i have is indeed made by him but other than that I know nothing. I will gladly try to answer any questions you do have.
cajunchas

Post by cajunchas »

Thanks ---- I prepared a DRAFT of my item but I can not find how to get it TO POST for all to see it. It's in my draft area, but I can not find a way to get it to post. Oh well, guess I can keep trying? ?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Questions about (hall)marks and makers marks cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

This is how you could do it. Use a good digital camera with macro function and daylight only, no flash.
You make the required photos and store those at a photo hosting site. The photo host will ask you if you like to keep original size or like to re-size; re-size to 640x480 (medium) and upload the image(s). After you have uploaded your re-sized image, you can choose what kind of link you like to provide to enable others to view your image. You have four choices; Direct, Forum, Alt Forum and HTML; choose Forum and copy the link. Now you can paste the image-link in your 925-1000 new topic text, please use the preview button, to check quality of the image before posting.
For photo/image hosting you could choose ImageShack not free of charge but Ad free: https://imageshack.com/
but there are many other free hosting sites

I prefer a reliable image host because I do not like to lose my images. We request people not to remove their images and keep those images as long as possible for their own benefit and to benefit others. Most topics with missing images are almost worthless. See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 46&t=39786

Good luck and we hope to see some of your images.

Oel.
asheland

Post by asheland »

That's a nice looking example.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”