Coin Silver Spoon - Unknown Marks - Help!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
sbridge

Coin Silver Spoon - Unknown Marks - Help!

Post by sbridge »

Hi All,

About a year ago, I dug up what I believe to be an American coin silver spoon dating from the late 1700's, early 1800's. I can't find any lettering on it; rather, there are four marks on the back of it:

The marks appear to be, from left to right: an 8-petaled flower, a cross, a leaf (maple?), and I really can't tell what the last one is...?

I've looked everywhere on the internet for symbols similar to these, all to no avail. Any information would be tremendously appreciated!! :)

Thanks!!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Coin Silver Spoon - Unknown Marks - Help!

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but to me, these look more like English silver-platers' marks, in particular those of the several used by George Richmond Collis & Co.

Here are images of two of his marks:

Note the cartouche shapes on the maple leaf, star, and cross, again these appear similar. The one shown by the centre red arrow appears to be a thistle, that may possibly be the mark that you cannot identify, but I'm not 100% convinced it is the same mark, certainly the cartouche appears different.

It would be good to hear the thoughts of others.

Trev.
sbridge

Re: Coin Silver Spoon - Unknown Marks - Help!

Post by sbridge »

Trev,

I think you nailed it! Those definitely look like the 4 I'm seeing. (Such relief to have this finally identified!) Do you know of any reason why the monograph "GRC" is missing?

Gratefully,
Steve

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”