J & I. Cox 1850 Sheffield and/or NY???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
WarrenKundis
contributor

J & I. Cox 1850 Sheffield and/or NY???

Post by WarrenKundis »

Recently picked this 5.750" (14.605cm) teaspoon with a set of badly rubbed out marks. Appears to read J & I. Cox Sheffield, with a Sheffield date letter G for 1850. Found another item online that appears to bear the same set of marks. There also appears to be some indication that this English silversmith may have also worked in NY during the same period. Is there any information to confirm or deny this or is someone just confusing similar marks.

Warren

WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: J & I. Cox 1850 Sheffield and/or NY???

Post by WarrenKundis »

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This is not a Sheffield hallmark - no duty mark for one thing. This post suggests that John & James Cox were New York silversmiths.

Phil
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Excellent Phil,

Had noticed the lack of a duty mark but remembered from our previous discussions on an English mustard ladle that, Oops, was about to get that incorrect again. Was a London city mark that was missing in that case. As you noted then for a brief period the city mark was not required.

Having just posted that large French fiddle and thread serving spoon recently plus the fact that these pseudo marks in rectangular cartouche were leading me towards the UK. I had also just viewed a cream pitcher with the combined J & I. Cox & Clark dated circa 1850 just added to my confusion. Am becoming too conditioned to the fine streamlined American coin silver patterns. All that being said, it's all part of the learning curve.

Thanks again Phil, your input is always appreciated.
Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Let's add this add this image of a J & I. Cox & Clark mark for further clarification.

W

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”