early american or colonial spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
28alexandram

early american or colonial spoon

Post by 28alexandram »

I found what might be an early american or colonial spoon possibly from the 1600s.

It has a pear shaped bowl which is damaged.
The handle is rectangular but slightly tapered where it meets with the bowl.
The marks are unclear but I think is a P but after that is scratched.

Any clues to the maker or exact year this spoon was made?
28alexandram

Re: early american or colonial spoon

Post by 28alexandram »

Looking closely at the damaged part I thought I saw what looked like an & and an I or T
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

I can see why you wonder about the 17th century but I doubt whether anybody would feel confident enough to give a definitive answer simply on the basis of photographs. One problem is that there has been plenty of time for historicist replicas of the early 20th century to get lost, broken and otherwise distressed. I know a bit about early English spoons, but next to nothing about early American ones or indeed Dutch ones which might have provided their models, so should not really venture an opinion.

A square stem is rare on English spoons of this general form but may have been more common elsewhere. I think a bit more detail is needed to help others form a view about the spoon - in particular, its dimensions and a picture of the back of the bowl showing the junction with the stem. A clearer view of the top of the stem (Is it cut off straight or at an angle or slightly domed?) would be helpful, as would a side view to give the depth of the bowl.

Of course, somebody may recognise what remains of the mark, assuming it is the maker’s rather than the initials of the owner, but my own suspicion is that even with the extra detail I have suggested you may be left having to consult someone (museum?) able to handle the spoon rather than rely on photos.
28alexandram

Post by 28alexandram »

Ok, just an update. I plan on adding more pictures as soon as I can.

However I did consult a private collector about this item. He said it is definitely solid silver not sure what %. Also, he said that it was most likely made between 1600-1800. He said if I could make the mark more clear and if its the makers mark I may be able to identify a closer year.

I had thought about the possibility that the mark could be the owners intials, not sure though.
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

Really, you want to know the maker based on these terrible pictures?

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”