Set of 10-15 spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Shofner303

Set of 10-15 spoons

Post by Shofner303 »

Recently acquired these spoons and was unable to find any similar makers marks. Each spoon weighs about 24 grams. The only thing I managed to find was that 10-15 means 10 troy ounces silver per 15 troy ounces a.k.a coin silver.
Any help figuring our who made these and when would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Francais

Re: Set of 10-15 spoons

Post by Francais »

10-15 is a quality mark usually associated with Baltimore. The other marks are pseudo marks, which are hard to attribute to a particular maker as the letters don't generally refer to the maker. I checked with a friend who has a book I never bought.
He says: McGrew has that one as unidentified - mid Atlantic.
Retailers were John Adam from Virgina and the rest were from Maryland( J. Cross, and Geo. Webb). Also a couple like one with simply the 10-15 and these probably were retailed by some Maryland dealer.
So you probably have an unidentified maker, retailed in Maryland.
Maurice
Shofner303

Post by Shofner303 »

Francais wrote:10-15 is a quality mark usually associated with Baltimore. The other marks are pseudo marks, which are hard to attribute to a particular maker as the letters don't generally refer to the maker. I checked with a friend who has a book I never bought.
He says: McGrew has that one as unidentified - mid Atlantic.
Retailers were John Adam from Virgina and the rest were from Maryland( J. Cross, and Geo. Webb). Also a couple like one with simply the 10-15 and these probably were retailed by some Maryland dealer.
So you probably have an unidentified maker, retailed in Maryland.
Maurice
Thank you! I didn't expect such a detailed response! I did have one more question. Would I date this spoon post or pre 1830 as I found one source saying Baltimore started marking silver 10-15 before 1830 but another source says up till 1830?
Francais

Post by Francais »

I don't know about the sources, but I would date the spoons as c. 1835.
Maurice
Shofner303

Post by Shofner303 »

Thank you again. Its great to learn about these very interesting and old spoons!

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”