gorham silverplate, coin?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mudder351

gorham silverplate, coin?

Post by mudder351 »

What I would like to know is, is this silverplate or coin silver or what. What kind of silver content if any and any other info you can provide. pattern, etc.
mudder351

Post by mudder351 »

about the makers mark shown i just noticed there is a faint mark btween gorhams marks and the 11 it looks like this \///. then lower in plate i can see #713. then what looks like an equation TUUL under that is IE- or 18- then an underline under that. under that is a square symbol u x l these are all light markings hard to see.
dmay

Post by dmay »

The piece is sterling, made by Gorham.The piece is 20th century, but I cnnot date it more closely than that. There is no date letter, and Gorham did not use date letters between 1933-1941, but the style of the engraving on the front is more in keeping with turn of the century design tastes.

I think the markings below actually are "11 in."-by chance does the piece measure 11 inches in diameter? It was likely part of a set that had different sized trays.

The C&M mark is most likely the retailer's mark-I don't know who it is, but others might.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems more likely a piece of Gorham pre-1868 coin silver, were it 20th century, there would most certainly be a sterling mark. The Renaissance Revival style of the engraved decoration is also right for this period.
Regards, Tom
mudder351

Post by mudder351 »

it is 11 inches long. if it is coin what percent of silver would it be? do you know what the c&m stand for? also in case you cant tell (if this makes a difference) the lion anchor and g are raised within there circle square. how can i be sure which it is 1940's early 1800,s i did have someone say that pre 1868 the lion faced left. is this true?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

were it 20th century, there would most certainly be a sterling mark.
The C&M mark is most likely the retailer's mark
Coin is 90% pure silver.
Left facing lion is was used c.1855-60.
For an onsite guide to Gorham marks see ->
Gorham Marks & Date Codes

Regards, Tom
woo0

Post by woo0 »

my references suggest that it is probably coin and also from 1848 to 1865 the lion faced left rather than right so you can assume your piece is after 1865.but in 1868 gorham abandoned coin silver and adopted sterling standard.I am thinking your piece is coin from 1866-1868 possibly.Also in 1868 gorham adopted the lion,anchor and cap G for use on sterling so since there is no sterling mark we can also assume its before 1868 but after 1866? hope this helps
dmay

Post by dmay »

My apologies!!!!! You are right, of course, the mark is for coin, not sterling. Lesson learned: don't send in responses when you are in a hurry! At least I got the 11 inches right!
mudder351

Post by mudder351 »

Thank you for all you help I greatly appreciate it. (admin edit - See GUIDELINES)

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”