Cleveland & Post Tablespoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dognose
Site Admin

Cleveland & Post Tablespoon

Post by dognose »

An example of the work of the partnership of William Cleveland and Samuel Post of New London CT (Identified thanks to Wev's site).

Wev's site has this partnership as from 1815, but is it known how long it lasted? Also could the 'C' be an indicator that the spoon was made by Cleveland's hand? Or maybe it just stands for Connecticut.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Trev.
2209patrick
co-admin

Re: Cleveland & Post Tablespoon

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi Trev.

Can't help with your questions.

Just wanted to add a footnote, William Cleveland was U.S. President Grover Cleveland's Grandfather.

Pat.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thanks Pat,

It's snippets of information like this, that make it all the more interesting.

Regards Trev.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I have never been comfortable with this partnership. Almost all the examples I have seen feel too late in style; the marks and pseudo-marks, if looked at without bias, so to speak, would more likely indicate a New York origin. It is true that Cleveland traveled about quite a bit, including to New York, in later years, but as a deacon and lay preacher, rather than as a practicing smith. Almost nothing concrete is known of his career after his partnership with John Proctor Trott ended in 1794.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Realizing that it is not enough on it's own, I can say that the census's do not appear to support the pair being in New London or Norwich, Connecticut in 1810 or 1820.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Thanks to you both.

I too felt that this spoon was a little later than the dating of the partnership would suggest, especially taking into account of the age of Samuel Post who must have been advanced in years, but of course it's always possible that his name stayed above the door following his retirement or demise.

I guess we'll have to leave the book open on this pairing at the moment.

Regards Trev.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”