J.Hollister/pure coin spoons

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Diana Rawlins

J.Hollister/pure coin spoons

Post by Diana Rawlins »

I am trying to find out about this maker-maybe a pa. or New York State maker in the Buffalo area or Erie, Pa. This is where the family was from and I have about 2 generations of spoons by this maker.

silvercrown

Post by silvercrown »

Your spoon was made by Julius Hollister born in 1818 in Glastonbury, Hartford, CT. He worked with Oliver Seymour in Hartford, CT, c.1845 as Seymour & Oliver. He alswo worked in Oswego, New York and for a while in Greenfield, MA. He may have also been associated with the Griswald Brothers of Middletown, CT. I have seen coins silver spoons with both marks.

Silvercrown
Diana Rawlins

Post by Diana Rawlins »

Thank you so much. This is indeed my mark--I still need someone to tell me how to get a picture in with my request. I would like to help by recording some of these marks for those still searching. Thank you. Diana Rawlins
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Diana,
I've spent some time reworking
How to Add Images
Hoping it is clearer now, give it a look.
Best, Tom
Hollister

Re: J.Hollister/pure coin spoons

Post by Hollister »

The spoons were made by John Hollister. He had a store in Greenfield, MA from 1844 to 1964 (3 generations). I have several of the spoons and a Jewelry and Coin store called Hollister Jewelry and Coins. John Hollister was my great great grandfather. Hope this helps.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I have never seen a record of any John, but Joseph Harvey Hollister is well documented from the 1850s on as a jeweler in Greenfield, as was his son Edward later on. The mark shown, however, is not his, but belongs to his third cousin, the silversmith Julius, as others have posted.
silverly

Post by silverly »

The business name J H Hollister jewelers continued to be listed in Greenfield business directories until at least 1956 with Edward H Hollister Jr as the proprietor at that time.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A perhaps another member of the same family, R.C. Hollister of Westfield, Massachusetts:

R.C. Hollister - Westfield, Mass. - 1919

Trev.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”