Middle Eastern Flintlock Pistols? Marks and translation?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
chertbolt

Middle Eastern Flintlock Pistols? Marks and translation?

Post by chertbolt »

Hello all,

I am currently researching a pair of flintlock pistols and haven't been able to turn up much info.
I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction. There are two marks on nearly every piece of silver on these pistols. One is a star inside a circle and the other is an upside down 'V' followed by a dot (Arabic for '80' ?) There is also, what I think is Arabic, lettering pricked into the 'tang' of the trigger guard. Can anyone here translate Arabic? (or please correct me if this is not Arabic)

Thanks for Looking!
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: Middle Eastern Flintlock Pistols? Marks and translation?

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day,

Had a friend of mine who is an Arabic speaker stated that it was difficult to make out a coherent word out of the letters presented. Let's see what others think.

Did also notice that that there are other marks in your first image. Below the numerical mark on the right is a smaller cross like mark. And below and just to the right of the right of the star mark there seems to be rubbed out mark/s. Can we get a close up of that area?

Hope this helps
Warren
chertbolt

Post by chertbolt »

Thank you for the reply. The other marks you pointed out look like pitting in the silver under a magnifying glass. I have a friend bringing me a digital microscope so I will take a few pictures of the area just to be sure.

I did post the Arabic lettering on an Arabic language forum and apparently it reads the Arabic equivalent of "George Abraham" with unconnected characters.

Thank you again. I will post close ups of the area you requested as soon as I get the microscope.
chertbolt

Post by chertbolt »

I forgot, I also was able to remove the barrels from the stock. (looks like I wasn't the first to do this)
There are more marks on the side and underside of the barrel.

WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Interesting, George Abraham or Ibrahim as its said in Arabic. May actually be a previous owner's name. The other possibility is that this person was not a Muslim or an Arabic speaker and that is why the letters are not conjoined.

The what looks like Jam... over Brosar most likely the gun smith. Was thinking that the decorative elements were more North Africa or Syria but don't discount that it may be of Ottoman Turkish manufacture.

Warren
chertbolt

Post by chertbolt »

Thank you for the reply. I was unable to get any better pictures. Though looking through a magnifying glass it appears the marks you pointed out is just pitting in the silver.

There is a crescent moon surrounded by stars engraved into the top of the barrel. From what I have seen this is typical of a Turkish gun. Haven't had much time to work on these lately.

I was thinking the third character above 'BROSAR' was an 'A' ?

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”