pls help me with the age of this Chinese hallmark, thanks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
namtso

pls help me with the age of this Chinese hallmark, thanks

Post by namtso »

it's a hallmark on a bracelet. it looks like a horse. I have seen lion hallmark. but this looks different. anyone who knows its age? pls help me. thank you. here's the url of the picture. http://tadget.taobao.com/manage/picList ... 6155633737
dognose
Site Admin

Re: pls help me with the age of this Chinese hallmark, thank

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your image is not showing and appears to be password sensitive.

Consider http://www.tinypic.com

Trev.
namtso

Post by namtso »

hi, i couldn't log into the site. So I uploaded the pictures on my blog here. http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5d5c9bfc01019lkr.html
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

For the sake of those who may be reluctant to click on the link, here is the mark:

Trev.
Adrien von Ferscht
contributor

Post by Adrien von Ferscht »

My gut feeling is this is post Chinese Export Silver period - ie after 1940
The only Chinese Export Silver maker that used the word "CHINA" in the maker's mark was the Hong Kong maker "SC", but as far as I'm aware, the horse symbol was not used in conjunction with that maker. SC manufactured between 1890-1920. Which makes me think this is after 1940 and probably a maker that only made jewellery.
It would help to see an image of the bracelet, as the style of the piece might indicate period of manufacture.
namtso

Post by namtso »

hi, if you click the link then you can see the bracelet. But I have seen a lot of bracelets which were made between 1920-30 were marked ' CHINA'.
Adrien von Ferscht wrote:My gut feeling is this is post Chinese Export Silver period - ie after 1940
The only Chinese Export Silver maker that used the word "CHINA" in the maker's mark was the Hong Kong maker "SC", but as far as I'm aware, the horse symbol was not used in conjunction with that maker. SC manufactured between 1890-1920. Which makes me think this is after 1940 and probably a maker that only made jewellery.
It would help to see an image of the bracelet, as the style of the piece might indicate period of manufacture.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I've embedded the images of the bracelet:

Trev.
Adrien von Ferscht
contributor

Post by Adrien von Ferscht »

It's good to see the item now. It's a lovely piece
I would say this is 1900-1920 judging by the workmanship, in particular the hinging and the filigree.
I have never seen this mark before. But then I am primarily interested in [and researching] Chinese Export Silver, which is actually a very different category than jewellery [albeit a few silvermakers did make items of jewellery, but they did so using skills that silver jewellers probably wouldn't have used]. If you look at a Wang Hing brooch, it's a silver "piece" that you can wear.
I'd have thought that "rauls" is the guy who may know this mark - Zhu's speciality I think is jewellery from China
I shall continue to delve - if anyone does come up with a final solution to the mystery of the mark, I'd like to be told.
Regards
Adrien
rauls
contributor

Post by rauls »

IMHO, it's a chinese export silver bracelet made in 1970-80s.
rauls
contributor

Post by rauls »

Adrien von Ferscht wrote:I'd have thought that "rauls" is the guy who may know this mark - Zhu's speciality I think is jewellery from China
I shall continue to delve - if anyone does come up with a final solution to the mystery of the mark, I'd like to be told.
Regards
Adrien
Nice to see you here.

Most collectors in China believe my speciality is western silver, especially UK & US silver... :p

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”