Egyptian Silver Plate Hallmarks?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
ckbawden

Egyptian Silver Plate Hallmarks?

Post by ckbawden »

I have an Egyptian silver plate that was a presentation plate from an Egyptian General to an American soldier some years ago. I don't know the symbols well enough to determine the year. I believe the first one is the Assay city Alexandria and .800 purity level like another item posted here but please confirm this if possible. The middle symbol must be the Egyptian national symbol of the lotus flower dating it to after 1946 although it is not very detailed. The date code appears to be the Arabic thaa or taa but I don't know what year that would mean. Can anyone help?
silverly

Re: Egyptian Silver Plate Hallmarks?

Post by silverly »

I really don't know anything about your mark, but I'll say it's 900 parts out of a 1000 silver just because we use arabic numbers. Good luck with your identification. I think there are folks that frequent this site that can help you though.
dnl
contributor

Post by dnl »

Dear ckbawden,

Actually, the well worn mark above the fineness mark in the first box on the left is the assay office mark for Cairo. The three digits below it are the Arabic characters for 900. The center is indeed the lotus, in use from 1946 and indicates the item is silver. The last box is the date mark. We are currently researching the translation of stamped characters to formal Arabic lettering which is vastly different but based on what I have learned to this point is that this mark MIGHT indicate 1949. I use the word might since I have repeatedly been surprise with what is the actual answer. Does 1949 line up to your assumptions on the piece?

Currently, and understandably, I cannot reach my contacts at the Egyptian Assay Office but will inquire on the date mark for you as soon as I hear from them just to be sure. Until then, I may I hold on to your image as a point of reference?

d
dnl
contributor

Post by dnl »

To follow up...

I have just now heard back from the Cairo Assay Office. The date mark is for 1948.

Hope that helps.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi dnl,

Is there any possibility that your contact could provide will a full listing of Egyptian date marks? As I'm sure you're aware, we always have problems deciphering these marks.

Any help you and contact can give us would be much appreciated.

Regards Trev.
dnl
contributor

Post by dnl »

Dear Dognose,

I too have had the problem of deciphering the Egyptian date letters. The largest problem is that what is designated by the Egyptian Assay Office as a date letter, looks completely different when struck because of the Arabic charactering. I have been collecting images of date letters and had sent them along with this mark to the EAO and just received the answer. Unfortunately, it is not complete and I am trying to find what I am missing. As soon as I can be positive that I have the date lettering VISUALLY correct, I will be happy to share. So far, the response time has been very slow.

d
trchris

Post by trchris »

Thank-you I have a piece with the exact same marks. Y'all have been very helpful.

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”