Do you know these Marks?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
symean

Do you know these Marks?

Post by symean »

Hi, my Dad's mum has left me a brooch which looks like gold, or gold plated, with half-pearls studded on the front of it in a floral pattern. Apparently it was her mum's, so were talking around 1925 at least.

There are three marks. The first is really hard to see, it might be a leaf...I thought it kinda looked like a Lion used for origin of Scotland - the one rearing up on the left hand side? Anyway I can't make it out. The other two are the number 15 and the letter W.

Any help appreciated.
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

The 15 is most likely the mark for 15 carat gold, the leaf or whatever mark may be the town mark and depending what the town mark is the letter will give the year of make. To be certain of this you can get the brooch tested at a jewellers (may cost as much as £8) or get someone you know with a testing kit to test it for you. If you can get a decent photograph of the marks, please publish on here and I will try to identify them. 15 carat gold was available from the middle of the 19th century to around 1932 when replaced with 14 carat. I would hazard a guess that your brooch is from the period between 1890 and 1920. Best wishes, Mike.

Return to “Gold - Single Image”