Meaning of XX mark on jewelry

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
muraille

Meaning of XX mark on jewelry

Post by muraille »

I have 3 pieces of jewelry with different gold content but each with this XX mark on them. Can you help me determine what it means?? Thanks.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Muraille,

In Jan Divis book "Goldstempel aus aller Welt " #435 XX stands for and I quote: Polen, ab 1963; Ungultigmachung des Stempels.
I believe in plain English "unvalid making of hallmarks", do not ask me why, because I do not know?

Regards,

Oel
muraille

Post by muraille »

Thank you, Oel. It is strange, because the gold content marked on the pieces checks out to be correct...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I believe this is a maker's mark, perhaps conjoined V's or VW or MW. Something along the lines of Wilhelm Muller's mark, see:
http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884_3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Of course, not including an image of the object always limits the possibility of a positive ID.
Regards, Tom
muraille

Post by muraille »

Thanks Tom, this sounds like a good possibility as I received these items from a person of German descent. Following is pic of brooches. First question was re the white gold one. Second one in yellow gold has a slight modification on the XX theme as the gold content is preceded by the omega sign.
ImageImage
Hotlink at http://a.imagehost.org/0725/questions_040.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

In a recently published book by Fritz Falk about art nouveau jewellery the Omega maker´s mark is shown (p 326) and it is Friedrich Zerrenner.

FALK, Fritz Jugendstil-Schmuck aus Pforzheim: Art Nouveau jewellery from Pforzheim, Stuttgart : Arnoldsche, 2008

F Zerrenner
Berlinerstr 14
Pforzheim, Germany D-75172
Tel: +49 7231 106091
Fax: +49 7231 3575 83

Hope this helps
Best Regards/JAKJO
silverport
contributor

XX mark = Wilhelm Müller, whole seller, also for jewellery

Post by silverport »

Hello

XX mark was trade mark of Wilhelm Müller (founded 1847) in Berlin, with dependancy in Pforzheim.

Wilhelm Müller was whole seller for jewellery in gold and silver and silver hollowware and flatware.

Many products were already struck with seller's mark XX by the producer in factory's or workshop - without any »maker's mark«, also on products of important producer. Additionaly were struck two minuscle letter - XX-internal code for identification of maker's origin.

After WWII Wilhelm Müller moved under dramatic circumstances to Schwäbisch Gmünd - held there her centenary.

In 1981 their main business was whole seller of jewellery; Adress: Wilhelm Müller KG , Schwerzer Allee 5, Schwäbisch Gmünd.

Kind regards silverport

Return to “Gold - Single Image”