Cigarette Case C&S

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Rose

Cigarette Case C&S

Post by Rose »

I just purchased an antique silver cigarette case. I can identify three of the four marks, I believe it's 1841, Chester, England, the lion (sterling) but I don't know what the makers mark is...it's C&S.
Can you tell me who/what this is??
Neruda

Post by Neruda »

Your cigarette case may be by Clark & Sewell, active in the first half of the 20th century.

Your dating to 1841 may well be incorrect - during this period I would expect to see a fifth mark - a small profile of the head of Queen Victoria. This mark indicated that the tax or "duty" had been paid.

Of course, this is why photos are so useful!
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

I would hazard a guess that the mark you feel is for 1841 is easily mistaken for the mark for 1928-9. If it were 1841, one would expect there to be a duty mark which would be a box, in the hallmark, with Queen Victorias head in it. I also agree with our learned friend that the maker is likely to be Clarke and Sewell who were certainly active at that time. Best wishes, Mike.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Thank you guys, very much. I only wish I could take a picture of the hallmarks, but I can't. I don't think I have a good enough camera that gets that close without blurring. I've tried, over and over again.

You're probably right on the date, but It was the only one that was comparable to what I've seen here, dated 1841. Do you know what the letter looks like for 1928-29??
Again, thank you for your help.
Rose -
Rose

Post by Rose »

I was finally able to get a fairly decent picture of the hallmarks on my cig. case. If anyone could help with the date. Thank you.

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

My assessment of the date is correct, it is 1928-9 and the style of the case confirms this too. Best wishes, Mike.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Mike, thank you so much for your help. I appreciate it.

-Rose
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

My pleasure. Best wishes, Mike.

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”