Makers Mark Identify

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
makeupbybeth

Makers Mark Identify

Post by makeupbybeth »

Please help me identify the marks on this sterling mustard pot, please.

makeupbybeth

Re: Makers Mark Identify

Post by makeupbybeth »

The marks are GS over J K & Co
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

You will notice that your post has been moved from the "London Hallmarks" section to a section of the silverplated area as the marks have been recognised as not being silver hallmarks. "GS" normally means German Silver; this is an alternative name for nickel silver, a base metal alloy which, perversely, contains no silver at all. The manufacturer's initials JK&Co are not known to me.

Phil
makeupbybeth

Post by makeupbybeth »

Interesting. My only question would now be why isn't it magnetic? That was my first test and I've done an acid test to see if it was Sterling or not and it tested Sterling.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Beth,

Welcome to the Forum.

I agree with Phil's comments. The base metal of nickel silver is non-magnetic, the plating of items made of steel disappeared mostly with the discovery of electro-plating in the 1840's.

Acid testing is very unreliable and destructive, the only way you would get a reliable result is to damage the item by removing an area of the plating and thus ruining the original finish.

The item can be dated to pre 1914 as the marketing term 'German Silver' disappeared with the outbreak of the Great War and the anti-German feeling that event produced.

Not all marks on plated wares identify the manufacturer, larger customers, wholesalers and retailers, would have the option of having their own marks applied, this was to ensure repeat business for the retailer as people built up their own sets of tableware.

Trev.
makeupbybeth

Post by makeupbybeth »

Great feedback and information! Thank you both.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”