ELKINGTON MARK

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Jenny747

ELKINGTON MARK

Post by Jenny747 »

I have a ladle with the Elkington hallmark. I believe that I have identified it as an 1849 production date as it has the K in a triangle on it. There is also the number 50 in a circle at the beginning of the Hallmark followed by an A in a circle and then follows the E C. I have not found what the 50 stands for or the A .... can anyone help this "pilgrim" at identifying this item? On the front side of the label there is an elaborate logo from the Liverpool Constitution Club. Please help ... anyone??
oel
co-admin

Re: ELKINGTON MARK

Post by oel »

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Oel.
Jenny747

Post by Jenny747 »

Jenny747 wrote:I have a ladle with the Elkington hallmark. I believe that I have identified it as an 1849 production date as it has the K in a triangle on it. There is also the number 50 in a circle at the beginning of the Hallmark followed by an A in a circle and then follows the E C. I have not found what the 50 stands for or the A .... can anyone help this "pilgrim" at identifying this item? On the front side of the label there is an elaborate logo from the Liverpool Constitution Club. Please help ... anyone??

I uploaded photos .... new to this process, hope this works
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the Forum.

It may just be the angle of your photo, but to me, that looks more like the 'X' for 1862.

The 'A' will be a quality indicator, regarding the amount of silver deposited on the item. From memory, 'A' was Elkington's best quality. The '50' mark, I don't recall seeing before. The only thing that I can think off that may relate to his mark, is that Elkington's used to boast that their best quality work would last at least 50 years in normal use, perhaps this mark is to be identified with that claim, but it's only pure speculation on my part and offered only as a wild possibility!

Hopefully someone may have a more concrete answer.

Trev.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

It does impress me as early Elkington silverplate, but unfortunately I can't say what the individual marks mean. FWIW, link below to my piece of early Elkington silverplate that was sold on by Cameron of Dundee.

http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 9924#p9924

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”