Rogers Bros. Mfg Goblet

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
eliesquire

Rogers Bros. Mfg Goblet

Post by eliesquire »

I am trying to identify the manufacturer of a goblet I received with the following marks on the bottom:

The footed goblet is approx 4-5" high. The mark reads "ROGERS BROS. MFG {six pointed star} GERMAN SILVER {six pointed star} in a circle pattern around the letter "R" in a beaded circle/wreath/horseshoe (?) with the number 7 stamped below.

I have searched your website and forum as well as other resources and have come up blank. None of the numerous Rogers marks match this one.

Thank you for your assistance.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Rogers Bros. Mfg Goblet

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

According to Rainwater, the Rogers Bros. Mfg.Co. was organised in 1853 by William and Asa Rogers jnr. They were soon after joined by Simeon Rogers. In 1856, William Rogers left Rogers Bros. Mfg.Co. and with George W. Smith founded Rogers, Smith & Co. The firm was consolidated with Rogers, Smith & Co. in 1861 following financial problems.

Trev.
eliesquire

Post by eliesquire »

Thank you. I read about the various Rogers company splits and consolidations and assumed that the goblet was made by one of those iterations. Have you ever seen this mark before? Is there any way that I can approximately date the goblet? I understand that the use of the term "German Silver" may mean that the goblet was manufactured prior to 1914...

Thanks for your help and knowledge.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Presumably between 1853 and 1861, providing that Rogers, Smith & Co. did not continue using such marks.

As I'm sure you are aware, anything connecting the name Rogers and silverware is a minefield (for me at least), but hopefully another member has some thoughts.

The closest mark that I could immediately find was one registered by Wm. A. Rogers Ltd. in 1906, but it is clearly different:

An image of the whole item may help someone provide more information.

Trev.
eliesquire

Post by eliesquire »

Dear Trev,

I am aware of the minefield. I took the site admin's admonition to research before posting my request seriously :) I will upload a picture of the entire goblet when I get home later this evening.

Thank you again for your help.

Eli
eliesquire

Post by eliesquire »

Here are pictures of the goblet from left to right:

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”