electro plated communion cup

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
vikki.duncan

Post by vikki.duncan »

I am a postgrad student at the University of St. Andrews doing some research on an electro plated communion cup in the university's collection. It was made for a Congregational church in St. Andrews and presented to them in 1854.
I have deduced that it is electro plated and so must have been one of the first of its type. The marks are as follows:
H E & anchor symbol EP on its side
I deduce, therefore, that it was made in Birmingham but does anyone know the makers " H E" or have any other information on them?
I would be very grateful for any expertise.
Vikki
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Vikki,

It is possibly Henry Elkington. Any chance of a picture?

Paul.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Again,

Another question. Is the "H.E." in a rectangular or oval shield?
vikki.duncan

Post by vikki.duncan »

thanks for replying. as it is, i thought that it might be Henry Elkington as i thought that would also relate to the anchor mark from Birmingham. HOwever, i am now doubting that as it appears that all Elkington marks were accompanied by a crown and this doesn't have one. To boot, what i thought was an anchor slightly skewed i now think is the word "Co" as in Company with the "o" set slightly higher than the "C". I then looked at other makers marks not restricted to Birmingham and i am tempted by the makers Hawksworth, Eyre and Co. of Sheffield.
I am so sorry no picture, very frustrating, but am negotiating with the Universtiy over copyright issues!!
The "H" and the "E" are in rectangular shields and followed by the "&".
Do you know of Hawksworth, Eyre and Co perchance?
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

"Hawksworth, Eyre & Company

Marks used:- H.E/&CO, CH/JE, JKB/TH/GW, J.K.B, HE&CO/LD, HE/LD

Trademark:- Pineapple

A Sheffield based company who manufactured mostly silver plated flatware, but hallmarked silver items are to be found. They were established in 1833 and produced until just before the first World War."

Waylander
vikki.duncan

Post by vikki.duncan »

Oh dear, the cup does not have a pineapple symbol on it. Also, are yousaying that it is unlikely that they made ecclesiastical items such as the cup for a church?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am so sorry no picture, very frustrating, but am negotiating with the Universtiy over copyright issues!!

Hi Vikki,
Why not draw the marks, scan them & post. It would save on the guesswork and could bring some factual info to light.

Thanks, Tom

How to Add Images
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Vikki.
Saw your post earlier, but could not figure out the anchor symbol after the ampersand.
I'm wondering if the anchor is actually a Gothic "C"?

Hawksworth, Eyre and Company did produce holloware in addition to it's cutlery.
Believe they started using the pineapple around 1867. Not sure if it was used on all pieces.

Pat.
vikki.duncan

Post by vikki.duncan »

By Jove, 2209Patrick has got it!!! These are the marks exactly. Can you see why i thought it was an anchor symbol and went down the Birmingham route? It was later that i doubted the connection to Birmingham when i realized that no Elkington marks looked similar to the cup. The addition of the pineapple symbol to Hawksworth, Eyre and Co. would figure as the Communion cup was presented to the Congregational Church in 1854 and so may have been commissioned the year before. Consequently, no pineapple symbol as Tom says that is post 1867.
I've been a "silverware anorak" for some time now but only just found your site when doing research. Thank you so much. I will let you know the outcome when the University grades my paper. Rest assured, i have credited the site even without the information i have just had back.

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”