Strange task 1

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
amena
contributor

Strange task 1

Post by amena »

I have the strange task of judging the competence of someone who has collected some silver marks and cataloged them.
There are marks of Italian cities, but also marks that are attributed to European cities, and I have no authoritative texts on foreign silver, so I ask the experts for help.
This mark is cataloged as "Paris", but, for what little I know, it seems to me that it is not. I'd rather say Lyon. Can anyone give me a definite answer?
Thanks for attention
Amena
JayT
contributor

Re: Strange task 1

Post by JayT »

Yes, strange task indeed if all you have to go on is one mark with no context: size, placement, other marks, and of course the style of the object itself. I can tell you this is definitely not Paris. Could be a Lyon countermark (contremarque) for 1710, but I’d want much more info before pronouncing.
Good luck in your research!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A shot in the dark rather than a definite answer, but definitely not Paris. In English Tardy on page 158 there are very similar marks shown for Lyon. The text says "Lyons Communautés". However, none of the marks show the letter A. If it happens to be Lyon, it means that the object is rather old and dated to the turn of the century 1600-1700....maybe! You are not showing the object. What is it and does its style match the assumed time era?
In addition, I happen to have a book; Poinçons des fabricants d'ouvrage d'or et d'argent, Lyon 1798-1940, but unfortunately your mark cannot be found in it. The reason might be that it was used before 1798, but....?

In Rosenberg is simply mentioned "Ältere Stempelung; gekrönt Löwe mit Jahresbuchstaben" (Older marks; crowned lion with letter)

This is the best I can do...not much, sorry.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thank you both for your reply.
It is a collection of metal cuttings next to each of which is the name of a city. My impression is that it is a rather naive collection. Italian hallmarks are correctly identified but foreign ones, from what emerges from the expert opinion, are identified by hearsay. It would be too long, and difficult for my English, to explain here why it is important to know what authority has the collection.
Thanks for the useful contribution.
Amena
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting... I was just to ask you that where from is the information regarding the Monaco and Lisbon marks in your other threads. But if you say that it hearsay only.... not much to fall back to.....A Monaco hallmark!?
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Sorry, Munich in Germany, not the principality of Monaco

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”