Re: Spain?

Post by Wolfend »

Thanks!
when was it made?
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

It definitely looks like Madrid but if it is Madrid it is missing a mark. It should also have the city shield/crest. Also, in my two references, none of the other marks are listed. If it is Madrid it would date from 1831, thus the numbers under the castle. I have limited hands-on experience with Spanish silver so I don't know how crucial it was to have all the marks present and neither of the books has comprehensive makers mark listings, mostly just city and assay marks.
Wolfend

Post by Wolfend »

Thank you very much for your help:)
Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Good morning Wolfend, interesting piece, it's about a snuffer, right? I do not see the whole piece.
It is indeed a Spanish piece and its capital, Madrid year 1731

Dear legrandmogol
Until 1766 in Madrid the pieces were marked with the punches of the silversmith, assayer and the city brand. Under decree of King Carlos III the personal marks of the assayers disappear and are replaced by those of the city (bear and madroño) and by that of the court (castle).

Being a piece prior to 1731, the marks correspond to the silversmith Miguel Colmenares and the assayer Domingo Fernández Castelao.

Miguel Colmenares:
In 1725 he was appointed Platero de Oro de Cámara of the Royal House.
In 1728 it is named Help of the Furriera
He must have died between 1742 and 1746

Domingo Fernández Castelao:
Marker and contrast of Court of Madrid, which acted as such between 1731 and 1738, used as court mark the castle on the chronological 31, which remains unchanged throughout its contrastia. Your personal brand presents in two lines the full name, superimposing some letters on others: CAS / TELAO.

Wolfend, can I ask you a favor? I am very interested in a better photo taken of the Colmenares brand, that does not look so crooked, can it be? and if it is not too much to ask for another photo of the piece.

Thank you very much

Buenos días Wolfend, interesante pieza, se trata de unas despabiladeras verdad? no veo la pieza entera.
Efectivamente es una pieza española y de su capital, Madrid año 1731
Estimado legrandmogol
Hasta 1766 en Madrid se marcaban las piezas con los punzones del platero, ensayador y la marca de la ciudad. Bajo decreto del Rey Carlos III las marcas personales de los ensayadores desaparecen y se sustituyen por las de la ciudad (oso y madroño) y por la de la corte (castillo).
Al ser una pieza anterior a 1731 las marcas corresponden al platero Miguel Colmenares y al ensayador Domingo Fernández Castelao.
Miguel Colmenares
En 1725 fue nombrado Platero de Oro de Cámara de la Casa Real.
En 1728 se le nombra Ayuda de la Furriera
Debió morir entre 1742 y 1746
Domingo Fernández Castelao
Marcador y contraste de Corte de Madrid, que actuó como tal entre 1731 y 1738, Utilizó como marca de Corte el castillo sobre la cronológica 31, que se mantiene sin variaciones a lo largo de su contrastía. Su marca personal presenta en dos renglones el apellido completo, sobreponiendo unas letras sobre otras: CAS/TELAO.
Wolfend, le puedo pedir un favor? Me interesa mucho una foto mejor tomada de la marca de Colmenares, que no se vea tan torcida, puede ser? y si no es mucho pedir otra foto de la pieza. Muchas gracias
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

Thank you for the update. I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I would chime in. I love old Spanish silver but I have so few opportunities to handle it. It seems to be fairly rare, at least in the places I am looking anyway.
Wolfend

Post by Wolfend »

Dear Funkel!

Thank you very much for your help!
Regards,Gábor!

Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Thank you very much

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”