Italian Marks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
agsearcher

Italian Marks

Post by agsearcher »

Hello. Could anyone assist me in identifying some of these marks.
I know it is from Sicily, Messina, second half on 18th century, but cannot figure out the maker's mark and other marks.
One looks like AA possibly, and the other NSE, NSF, or NSD possibly, and then a small mark I cannot make out at all.
Thank you.
amena
contributor

Re: Italian Marks

Post by amena »

Hi Agsearcher
Let me ask a question: when you say I know it is from Sicily, Messina, second half on 18th century, you know it from some other information you have, or you deduct it from the marks?
In fact, after the plague of 1743, in Messina, the silverware must have three marks: Messina's coat of arms that is a cross in an ellipse with a five-ball crown and always the letters M and S; Another mark with the initials of the name and last name of the "console" and the last two numbers of the year; Another mark with the initials of the name and last name of the silversmith.
This is the rule, which sometimes there are exceptions.
In your photo you can not see nor letters M and S nor the number of the year.
This is not tranchant, it could have been badly struck.
Anyway, I would like to point out that the crowned crossed shield has been used elsewhere.
Regards
Amena
agsearcher

Re: Italian Marks

Post by agsearcher »

Thank you Amena for response. The website I used for research did not have Verona marks, but I think you are correct, it does seem to match more so than the Messina mark. Hopefully someone can identify the maker's mark. Thanks again.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”