Help Identify Hallmarks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
m4mc

Help Identify Hallmarks

Post by m4mc »

The image is the hallmarks from a silver spoon that has been passed down in my family as a wedding gift for many generations. I believe the top mark to be the year, 1776. and the assay mark to be Christopher Fabritius 1749 -1787. Can someone please help me with the remaining marks or point me to a source to find them.

https://postimg.org/image/ut0csiqjt/
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help Identify Hallmarks

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

You will have a far greater chance of getting a response if you embed your images. Very few people will click on links.

Trev.
m4mc

Post by m4mc »

thanks
m4mc

Post by m4mc »

The image is the hallmarks from a silver spoon that has been passed down in my family as a wedding gift for many generations. I believe the top mark to be the year, 1776. and the assay mark to be Christopher Fabritius 1749 -1787. Can someone please help me with the remaining marks or point me to a source to find them.
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello,
the spoon is from Copenhagen, the assayer is, like you wrote Christopher Fabritius (1749 -1787) and the makers mark is the mark of Jean Pierre Stoundre (Stunder), ca. 1763-1822 (Bøje Københaven, p. 197).
J. P. Stoundre is quite young, may be to young to be assayed by Christopher Fabritius (?).
Unfortunately the year in the city mark is worn.

Regards, Ringo
m4mc

Post by m4mc »

Thank you very much. Any info on the last mark?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The lowest mark is the zodiac mark for Capricorn 21.12-21.1. The Danes used it as a date mark 1685-1852. The assayer is really Christopher Fabritius and not Fredrik his son ( Bøje). It is incorrectly dedicated to Fredrik in Bøje. However, Christopher was in the beginning only a coin assayer but as from 1761 to 1787 he was the Head assayer. The year in the town mark must be within this time span. A good guess would be 1776. Actually C. Fabritius used two punches. The other is seen here: http://www.925-1000.com/dm_Assay.html
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

I see some chronological problems. Could it be the mark of Stoundre sen.?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The assayer is correct in your edition. In my edition this mark is incorrectly dedicated to Fredric Fabritius. In your book the maker's mark you show is incorrectly dedicated to Jean Pierre Stoundre and no marks are shown for Jaques Stoundre, Pierre's father whose mark it actually is, see below father's and son's marks

Jaques's working period 1759-1773 and Pierre's 1791-1826. It means that the object is made by Jaques. The year cannot be 1777 because at that point Jaques was dead. It must be earlier. Look at the "ball" in the mid tower and compare with the blue arrow.
m4mc

Post by m4mc »

Thanks everyone for your help. This forum was fast and very helpful. I wish i had more silver to research. Its not time to put the spoon in a display case for my son.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Hopefully this will restore the marks image from this thread: Image

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”