Dutch silver ornamental?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Dael69

Dutch silver ornamental?

Post by Dael69 »

Hellos guys,

I just bought a set of silver things and I saw the dutch marks. I would like some help to ID them. Thx a lot.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Dutch silver ornamental?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are far more likely to get a response if you embed your images as few people will click on links.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the Dutch forum.

For information about the Dutch (hall)marks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
The lion passant above 2, the 2nd standard mark silver 833/1000 fineness or 83.3% pure silver with the attached export key mark, to indicate 2/3 marking duty restitution upon export, and followed by the office mark, the Minerva head with the regional assay office letter M in its helmet for the city of Schoonhoven. The date letter N for 1948. The maker’s mark could have been over struck by the word; SILVER or is not showing. I believe this ornamental cake fork to be made by: Fa.(Firm) H. Hooijkaas 1874-2008; Zilverfabriek Schoonhoven .
See:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590

Oel.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

Very nice description Oel. Thx a lot!

I will do my best to take better pics or borrow a good camera. This is the full set:

Best regards.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks,to avoid confusion please start a new topic for each item and show an image of the complete item and an enhanced image of the (hall)marks, the maker’s mark and/or all other marks.

Oel.
Dael69

Post by Dael69 »

I have better pictures of this piece and I found the marker mark. I like the job of finding all this marks, it was very funny and interesting.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
Maker’s mark;*H.H*, indeed the mark of: Fa.(Firm) H. Hooijkaas 1874-2008; Zilverfabriek Schoonhoven .
For more information about Hooijkaas see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590

Oel.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my asking but what are the three forks with one long sponge in the middle used for? In Finland, Russia and the Baltic countries an almost similar fork is called potato fork but I doubt your forks are used for potatoes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would vote for mango, or?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Qrt.S,

In the Netherlands most experts believe the whole mango issue to be American baloney. You will never be able to stick the long pointed tine of the fork in a mango seed. Officially a cake fork has a long middle tine flanked by two smaller curved tines and were used in the Netherlands for serving the cake (variations in tine length and curves are known).
Although those funny forks with one long tine could be perfect for eating cake or pie. I believe those forks could be used to prick/eat; a small pickle or candied fruit or sweet potato.
A Google image search of: zilveren cakevork will reveal a variation of those forks and some have an extreme long middle tine. In the past the forks were a gift in a presentation box, and most people never used those forks and dumped the box in a drawer. I call those long tine forks useless utensils.
http://www.pe.com/articles/graber-615305-book-fork.html

Oel.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

This is very interesting. There are many kind of forks and there are variations in the use of them in various countries. Below you can see some different forks. Seen from left the Finnish use of them:

1. A questioned "mango or cake fork" ??? (Dutch). Rarely seen here
2. An ordinary potato fork with a long tine (sorry, not sponge ;-))) in the middle
3. Another ordinary potato fork
4. A typical cake fork for serving but not eating cake.
5. A typical pastry/cake spoon with a thicker left tine to cut and eat with but not for serving
6. An olive picking fork (Dutch) .
7. Another olive fork/spoon to pick with. Note the hole in the bowl

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

AAaahhh! Number 5 is of course a fork not a spoon!!!!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”