Silversmith FT from Riga. Who is it?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Dad
contributor

Silversmith FT from Riga. Who is it?

Post by Dad »

Hello.

Please, help me. Who is this maker? If I read rightly, it's "FT"? (turned on 180 degrees)

Punches from simple spoon.

Thanks. Best Reg.
Zolotnik

Re: Silversmith FT from Riga. Who is it?

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi -

the only help I can give:

it is FT but I do not know who he is or can find something in my sources.

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

It is Adolph Wilhelm Ferdinand Trühl in Viljandi Estonia. Please keep in mind that the assay offices in Estonia were shut down 1842 and only St Petersburg, Riga, Vilnius and Warsaw were left open. Therefore masters had to travel to either of these town to have their objects assayed.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

and Reval was left open.
Regards silverfan
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Correct Silverfan, thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot Reval. It was open 1842-1886.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Zolotnik, Qrt.S, Silverfan.
Thanks a lot for your answers. It is pleasant to communicate with knowing people.
Qrt.S, I think, you are right. This is Trul from Viljandi. In 1873 the Derpt assay office was closed and the silversmiths (from Derpt area) carried the products to Petersburg, Pskov and Riga. From Viljandi to Riga, from Võru to Pskov etc..
But, i think, it's not Adolph Wilhelm Ferdinand Truhl - it's Ferdinand Adam Ottomar Trühl. First name Ferdinand (F).
This punch (FT) together Riga's assay punch I saw since 1876 to 1887.

Best Reg..
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry Dad, a minor mistake now. In Viljandi/Fellin there were three masters Trühl/Truhl/Triel i.e. Wilhelm Adam Trühl (1832-1863). He marked WAT and had two sons; Adolph Wilhelm Ferdinand Trühl (1865-1887) who marked either AT with Latin letters or FT with Gothic Letters. The other son Ferdinand Adam Ottomar (1887-?) marked with Latin letters FT.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi.

There is a book: “ Das Felliner Burgerbuch (1728-1889). Nach dem Original des Felliner Stadtarchivs herausgegeben und bearbeitet von Georg von Frehmann, stadtsecretaire.” Fellin, 1902.

In this book are mentioned only Wilhelm Adam Trühl and his only son Ferdinand Adam Ottomar Trühl .
Adolph Wilhelm Ferdinand Trühl is the phantom, mistake. He didn't exist. From this book: At Ferdinand Adam Ottomar Trühl registration he was written down 2 times under different names (“versehentlich 2 mal mit verschiedenem Vornamen eingetragen”).

Ferdinand Adam Ottomar Trühl was born in Fellin (Viljandi) on November 2, 1835. He married in 1864.
I think, it's he.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Dad,

Das Felliner Burgerbuch (1728-1889)

The way I read it: Wilhelm Adam Trühl; born 1803, died 1863 and married in 1823 could have fathered two children; entry # 522 and # 540.
The # 540 is his son; Ferdinand Adam Ottomar Trühl born 2nd November 1835 and died(?).
But who is # 522? Could you please check the record for # 522, when was he or she born, or does the record say; # 522=# 540 under a different name and with the same birthday and the year 1835. Is it possible to check in which year Ferdinand Adam Ottomar died?

Best,
Oel.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

oel wrote:..... Could you please check the record for # 522, when was he or she born, or does the record say; # 522=# 540 under a different name and with the same birthday and the year 1835. Is it possible to check in which year Ferdinand Adam Ottomar died?
Hi, Oel.
No problem ))

Full version of this book : http://www.digar.ee/arhiiv/en/download/591383

About year then Ferdinand Adam Ottomar died : "Felliner Burgerbuch (1728-1889) ".
Before 1889 Ferdinand Adam Ottomar was live.

Best Reg..
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Excellent Dad, I buy it. Your chain of proves is waterproof.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

All clear Dad, very good research, thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Oel.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Thanks. It was pleasant to me too. Small discovery it's the discovery anyway.))))

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”