American (?) mark I don't recognize, please help.

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AGHEAD
contributor

American (?) mark I don't recognize, please help.

Post by AGHEAD »

I have a few sterling silver mesh purses with the following mark. The marks are small and I don't recognize them. I assume they are American marks since the items are also marked sterling. Any help would be appreciated.

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: American (?) mark I don't recognize, please help.

Post by dragonflywink »

My eyes aren't what they used to be, but I've looked at this picture a couple of times now - enlarged it, turned it, flipped it, enhanced it, still can't quite see it clearly. The bottom mark in particular looks familiar to me, and suspect that this piece is not American, despite a 'Sterling' mark, which often appears on pieces intended for an English-speaking market. Moving the post to the European forum, hoping it might get some different members looking in...

~Cheryl
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I know Cheryl will kick herself, it's Portugese, Gondomar assay, used after 1913 until 1938.

The 'II' denotes 833/1000 standard.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I have some doubts and I would not bet on Portugal...yet. Kindly take from another angle a sharp close-up and focus on the marks. What animal or what do you see in the lower mark?
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

I struggled to get that clear of a photo. The mark with the II is only 1 mm in size. I looked at about 5 of these different marks. I might have one that is more clear than the photo, the marks are not real crisp. It looks somewhat like a boars head...
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

You have almost solved the case by mentioning "boars head". It should look like this mark and if so, dognose is absolutely right; Gondomar in Portugal.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Heh - my eyesight is failing way too fast and truly still can't make sense of that mark (brain fail?); would guess the 'Sterling' stamp, on what is most likely a lower standard piece, is a later addition...

~Cheryl
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I have some information about the maker. He is Damião de Castro Neves 1915-?
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

QRT.S,

Hello and thank you for the extra information regarding the maker...much thanks.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”