Russian Silver maker's mark ФЯ

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Betti

Russian Silver maker's mark ФЯ

Post by Betti »

Hi, I hope someone can tell me who's hallmark this is: ФЯ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vg9tyui8z21qp ... 8.jpg?dl=0

It is stamped on several parts of a plated tea set along with a kokoshnik and 84 zolotniki.
All I know is that it might be made in St. Petersburg but there is no city mark or year (so I guess the assay mark is missing). Thank you for any hints.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian Silver maker's mark ФЯ

Post by Qrt.S »

First of all clean the mark. Secondly take a new sharp picture. Your picture is not sharp enough. What can be told as for now is that this left looking kokoshnik was used 1899-1908. Behind the neck you will find a Greek letter if it is alpha it is from St Petersburg. If it is delta it is from Moscow. If it is any other Greek letter, please tell what letter it is. For the moment I cannot find any known master in neither St Petersburg nor Moscow marking ФЯ except for a very narrow possibility that it could be Fyodor Yakolevich Mishukov in Moscow....? This is a wild guess only!

Unfortunately there are a lot of unknown masters both in Moscow as well as in St Petersburg and other towns too.
Betti

Post by Betti »

Thank you Qrt.S, you got me a little further already. First of all I realized that not all pieces have been made by the same master. I don't have the whole set here right now, just the tablet. It shows a different mark that reads HCX (not sure about the H) and indeed there are two letters at the neck of the kokoshnik, an A and an alpha, so Petersburg was the right guess. I will open another thread about this.

And Trev., yeah tried to get the pic in here but I just can't figure out how to post it from dropbox. I put an open link between the [img] but it says that it can't figure out the dimensions of the photo. How can I fix this? Thanks for your help.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Betti,

That message normally means that there is something wrong with the coding.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

http://www.postimg.com is recommended. Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

No, take a new look. First a correction: This kind of kokoshnik has two letters behind the neck. (The Greek letters come later 1908-1926). The letters are the assayer's initials. This particular kokshnik mark with small figures (84) was used only during the latter part of 1898 and not earlier but not either used after the end of 1898. In 1899 the figures become big. I seems to me that the letters would be ИЛ (Latin IL). Actually they cannot be anything else. That is the assayer Ivan Lebedkin in Moscow 1898-1914.

The mark ФЯ is already "explained". The other mark is ИОХ (Latin IOH, mentioned and showed in your other thread too) but unfortunately this master unknown to name.
Betti

Post by Betti »

Cool, thank you all for the info. Still I will check all the pieces if some have stamps that are in better condition and better visible.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”