Unknown CW mark on unknown silver content case

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
SnoodinOrange

Unknown CW mark on unknown silver content case

Post by SnoodinOrange »

Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me with any information about this case I had bought. I actually bought it to carry my vitamins in my purse - isn't that an ironic repurpose of a cigarette case? : )
Anyway the Wisteria decor I know is often Japanese, but I don't see any Japanese hallmarks. I only see this CW mark on the hinge so I'm wondering about the maker and date. The styling of the ribbons on the bottom look Art Nouveau to me.
I am hoping once I find a maker, it might help me deduce what it is made of since there are no silver marks on it and I don't have a tester. It is clearly not plated as it has been polished quite a bit and there is no underlying metal, it has some tarnish and the inside is gold wash. But I thought if it was Coin or Sterling it would be marked?
Thanks for any info!
(Apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't find a category for multi picture, unknown origin, unknown silver content)

AG2012
contributor

Re: Unknown CW mark on unknown silver content case

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Cannot help with the maker. Art Nouveau wavy leaves date it about 1900.
Most likely Continental.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Re: Unknown CW mark on unknown silver content case

Post by Aguest »

I found a "C" with a "W" inside from Belgium, with an 835 silver content, but the hallmark is different from this "CW," but also since the name appears to be "Jean," I am leaning towards Belgium.

An experienced silver-testing professional could at least tell you if the case is 925 sterling or more like 835 or 800 (European Continental Standards).

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”