I cant locate this manufacturer

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
leesk

I cant locate this manufacturer

Post by leesk »

Hi All,

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

There was a bag in the drawer marked A stowell and co sons, boston. thank you in advance! I have searched online for hours. Lee
ugh also i cant figure out how to attach the images. logo has S and a squirrel.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: I cant locate this manufacturer

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your question cannot be answered without the required images. The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

Embedded images get a far greater response than just posting links.

Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
leesk

Post by leesk »

I think I figured it out! If anyone knows of this hallmark please let me know. I believe the silver flatware is around late 1800's. found in my friends mothers house. I thank you in advance for all of your help. I have 8 pounds of this flatware!

legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

International Silver Co.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

As stated IS Co.--quickly found in American marks by searching Pictorial Marks subsection (in case you have this kind of problem again): http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver__Icon.html
leesk

Post by leesk »

Thank you I must have been blind I looked and looked and looked. Much appreciated.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

This is the mark of Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co. that was introduced to sterling flatware in 1895. With absorption of that firm into International Silver Company in 1898, the mark was continued in use for twenty more years. Normally, providing that we don't have a cut-off date for a pattern, we would assume that a predecessor mark without the words "International Sterling" surrounding the mark would mean "as late as 1928" for dating purposes. (Largely due to a statement by Rainwater printed at least to her 3rd edition as such..."The International Silver Company mark was not used until after 1928 on flatware." Very vague and immediately following a discussion of 1847 Rogers Bros., which confuses the issue only more.)
I have just viewed a listing for a silverplated flatware item marked "Claridge's Hotel 1921" and bearing the backstamp "International Silver Co.". Since it is a commercial ware, such marks may have been limited to flatware produced by the Hotel Division which was formed in 1914. It may take a large sampling of items to determine at what point International began to add their name either alone or alongside earlier marks on flatware. [The Wilcox and Evertsen "Indian Head" mark would also need to be reviewed if new evidence should arise.]

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”