S. Kirk & Son mark question.

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
rynegold

S. Kirk & Son mark question.

Post by rynegold »

So in looking at the mark, what does it tell us? I ask, as the seller has conveyed in the auction write up, that this is a coin silver item (yet shows no such mark for 'coin'). Here's the mark:

I always thought that the "oz." mark was for stating how much/many oz. of silver per dozen of silver plated items. I actually have a modern mark/stamp on a Kirk Steiff piece at home that I'm thinking is plate, and it has a "10 oz." mark out beside it and no "sterling" mark anywhere on the piece.

If I'm allowed - admin edit, please see: Posting Requirements
regards, mitch
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: S. Kirk & Son mark question.

Post by dragonflywink »

That is a Baltimore assay mark - in this case, 11 ounces of silver per 12 Troy ounces (91.66 silver). Assay was required for Baltimore produced silver from 1814-30, marks like one shown shown were generally used from 1830 to around 1860 (though if I recall correctly, Kirk continued use quite a bit past that), when assay was voluntary, the mark applied by the maker. Couldn't really comment on your piece without pics, but a modern Kirk Stieff piece would not bear assay marks, and would be marked as sterling if so...

~Cheryl

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”