Tiffany Ladle

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
wealth2moms

Tiffany Ladle

Post by wealth2moms »

Hi,

Since people on this forum are knowledgeable, I thought I could show you the markings on this Tiffany Sterling Silver Ladle. It doesn't say Tiffany & Co. but it has 2 strange markings after Tiffany &. The markings look exactly like the photo. Hard to read. Does anyone know what these markings are?

thanks,

fern
SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: Tiffany Ladle

Post by SilverSurfer »

I can't decipher the two figures following Co., but Rainwater (Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers) has a possible explanation for the last figure, M. According to Rainwater, "In 1868 when Tiffany was incorporated, the silverware factory of the Moores became part of the organization with Edward C. Moore becoming one of its directors. The silverware made in the factory bore not only the mark "Tiffany & Co." but also the letter "M". Hope this helps.

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

SilverSurfer wrote:I can't decipher the two figures following Co.
Oops, I meant I can't decipher the two figures following &, which one would expect to be Co., but apparently are not.

SS
wealth2moms

Post by wealth2moms »

Hi,

Thanks. I emailed the picture to Tiffany and told me that they could not give me any information. This is what they emailed me.

"Since 1837, Tiffany has sold a broad array of luxury goods created by a
variety of sources. Therefore, we cannot provide a formal document of
authentication."

I have seen the M versions too.

Thanks for all your help.

Fern

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”