Need Help with Birth Record Spoon Mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
pappas1322

Need Help with Birth Record Spoon Mark

Post by pappas1322 »

I recently came upon many items through a family member. Most I tried to research and have an idea as to what they are. This mark however looked very different than the others and I couldn't find anything online matching it. It is on a silver stork baby spoon. The birth record is on the bowl of the spoon and indicates this person was born in 1914. Other than that I haven't s clue to origin. Any help is greatly appreciated.

oel
co-admin

Re: Need Help with Birth Record Spoon Mark

Post by oel »

Hi,

Check out; Mauser Manufacturing Co., perhaps one of Mauser’s marks but a little malformed?

http://www.925-1000.com/ax_mauser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Oel.
pappas1322

Post by pappas1322 »

Thanks so much Oel. I agree it looks very similar yet malformed. I also notice now when looking again the "N" is backwards in word sterling. Any thoughts on that?
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I get a bit neverous when things are backward or reversed. I know of no mass silver maker who would approve dies that were incorrect. At Towle we had one person who inspected every die both when fabricated to make sure all was correct and he also inspected all dies used in that days production for even the smallest damage and he could pull a die from production and order it distroyed. He was so persnickity that you would have though he owned the place. I know of no company that didn't employ sopmeone like him to oversee their quality departments.
pappas1322

Post by pappas1322 »

Thanks for you insight JL Doggett. I appreciate the response. So I assume you're saying these things (the malformed makers mark and backwards "N") may indicate this spoon isn't a genuine piece?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Have to say, I've seen quite a few reversed letter, word and image mistakes on American silver marks, with probably the best known being the fairly often seen Shiebler winged mark with a reversed "S" - perhaps quality control became more stringent because of the errors. Don't believe there's any reason to suspect a problem with your spoon, I've had a few of the Mauser stork spoons, believe all had the upside-down "N", and can't really see a reason for anyone to counterfeit them. If you're interested, the 1907 patent number for the design is D38655.

~Cheryl
pappas1322

Post by pappas1322 »

Great information Cheryl, again I greatly appreciate it. The vast knowledge of the users on this site is wonderful. I have looked at the stork spoon you mentioned as well as others but I couldn't find any such as this one. This is the same Mauser spoon I referred to in the initial post here. Curious what type of handle this is called. Again forgive me limited knowledge in this area.

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”