gorham candlestick

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
shezookeeper

Re: gorham candlestick

Post by shezookeeper »

i have a silver gorham candlestick ( actually i have a pair but they have different markings) they are both numbered 660 but one has what looks like an "s" under the number . from your charts they stoped using letters at Q... so i am totally confused

JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

That "S" appears to be a later addition. Gorham would never sell a piece with that kind of a blemish. Maybe a retailer or owner was trying to place their mark on it.
shezookeeper

Post by shezookeeper »

so disregard the "s" and i still cant figure out what year they are from... no other markings... at first i thought the "s" could have been one of their picture icon thingys a snake or something... but i didnt see one on the chart
silverly

Post by silverly »

I see this same candlestick advertised online by different sites a fair bit. One German auction site dates it around 1940 which sounds correct. Without knowing for sure when the identification number 660 was first used it's difficult to know for sure. I've seen weighted silver articles from the mid nineteenth centuries for sure and others may know of much earlier examples, but weighted U S sterling articles seem to have proliferated around the first quarter of the twentieth century and beyond. Good luck with any further research!
bdboy8

Post by bdboy8 »

I think its not the original gorham candlestick. Maybe its altered.

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”